Plugin Contributions

Default Authentication Required for site? No thanks.

Hello,

I posted this in the Windows forum but I haven't gotten any responses so I thought I would try here. I apologize for the double post. I am just frustrated and trying to resolve a major obstacle. Perhaps you can help...

My site requires a login name and password. Not the admin - the site. [http://www.nydof.com/catalog] My host tells me that this is a function of Zen Cart and not something that he set up. I have scoured the forums and there is no mention of this issue anywhere.

Is there a way that I can disable this via the Admin? Is it possible that when he did the install he accidentally set it up this way? I have no experience with server-sys-admin-type stuff, but if given instructions I could poke my way around. He is a friend of my client - not a "real" hosting company. Could this be part of the problem - the install?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thank you,
    Alison

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Authentication Required for site? No thanks.

Zen Cart has an optional feature to require login to view the site. This is not default and had to have been set by whoever did the installation... or someone in admin later.

To set your cart to a normal store, in Comfiguration > Customer Details, set Customer Shop Status - View Shop and Prices to 0 (not required). It is apparently now at 1 (must login to browse).

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by strobogirl View Post
    My host tells me that this is a function of Zen Cart
    It's not Zen Cart.

There are two types of authentication: HTML authentication whereby an HTML page is generated into which user name and password must be entered - that's what Zen Cart does. The other type is browser authentication whereby a dialogue box pops up requesting this information - that's what's happening here.

Most likely it's that the folder containing your Zen Cart is password protected - a hosting problem!
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks guys.

Glenn - Comfiguration > Customer Details, set Customer Shop Status - View Shop and Prices is set to 0, so that's not it.

Kuroi - I've put a request into my host and will have someone who has more server-knowledge than I look into it.

Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

- Alison