Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Should I use *only* Paypal Express checkout?

Hi - I have been reading on the forums about the problems with the Paypal IPN and coupons. I am sending out a lot of coupon codes right now because I'm trying to move my customers away from my Etsy.com site and over to my zen cart site. Do you recommend disabling the Paypal IPN completely and using only the express checkout option? Is there any reason to keep the Paypal IPN as a checkout option?

thank you
    Lis

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Should I use *only* Paypal Express checkout?

Your option - but I would use one or the other and not both
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Okay, so I should pick one. That's good to know. Are there downsides to Paypal Express?
    -------------------------
    Dichroic Jewelry

Plugin Contributions

There is a support thread for it as there were a few issues initially but I believe that these have been corrected via patches that you will have to get (see the thread).

It does provide better tracking of what was purchased
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hi - I installed the patches a while ago. :) I guess I was asking more from a customer's point of view, are there downsides? They can use their credit card and echecks and all that with paypal express, right?

I guess I'm confused about why both options exist in the zen cart installation. Is it because you have to have a business account to use paypal express?
    -------------------------
    Dichroic Jewelry

Plugin Contributions

IPN has been included for a time - PPE is relatively new and still transfers the customer to PP but the detail of the order is itemized and looks better fron the customer point.

PayPalProFlow is the best but I am not sure that it is fully stable/works at this time...customer never leaves you site with this one - but there is a monthly minimum charge
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Lisk View Post
    Hi - I installed the patches a while ago. :) I guess I was asking more from a customer's point of view, are there downsides? They can use their credit card and echecks and all that with paypal express, right?

I guess I'm confused about why both options exist in the zen cart installation. Is it because you have to have a business account to use paypal express?
    I believe the main benefit of the IPN option is that the customers can use a credit card without having a PayPal account. A link appears on the left hand side of the checkout page that states this. Express Checkout can be used by customers that have an existing PayPal account (or they will have to sign up for one to use the Express Checkout option).
    I use IPN only at this point.
    Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MysticHarbor View Post
    I believe the main benefit of the IPN option is that the customers can use a credit card without having a PayPal account. A link appears on the left hand side of the checkout page that states this. Express Checkout can be used by customers that have an existing PayPal account (or they will have to sign up for one to use the Express Checkout option).
    I use IPN only at this point.
    To clarify:
    If you use PayPal IPN, your customers will be able to pay by credit card without a paypal account.
    If you use Express Checkout, your customers will need to make or use a PayPal account. PayPal wants to get customers to create accounts.
    If you want to process credit cards without customers creating accounts, you'll need a different service.
    Last edited by DrByte; 17 Jul 2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Fix a mistaken quote. Oops.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Dr.
    I thought customers were only allowed to use an existing PayPal balance in express checkout. Thanks for clarifying!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MysticHarbor View Post
    Thanks Dr.
    I thought customers were only allowed to use an existing PayPal balance in express checkout. Thanks for clarifying!
    As a matter of fact, I'm going to try rolling with Express and see how it works out. Thanks again Dr!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast