Plugin Contributions

Default Need 2 types of shipping...is this possible?

Hi all.

I need to set up Zen with 2 types of shipping.

For some products the shipping charge will be a set amount per item (for CDs and DVDs for instance), and for the rest of the products I need to have the weights added up and the shipping worked out from the total weight of just those products.

To clarify, let's say someone ordered 2 DVDs, a rubiks cube, a garden table, and a donkey jacket.

What I'd need is for both DVDs to have a postage of £1 each (set amount each) and for the total weight of the other 3 products to be added up, and the postage for them to be worked out from a table.
    Then the total postage would be the sum of them both.

Is this too much to ask from ZEN, or is it possible?

The reason behind this is that I mainly use stock that I have bought, but for some things I use a dropshipper.
    I wan't to be able to send off my stock using weight for postage rates, and use the other system so that I can match the dropshipper's postage rates.

Not sure if what I'm after can be done, but if not it's better that I know now before I waste too much time on it.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Rik

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need 2 types of shipping...is this possible?

There is always a way to make customized code do what you want ... however, what you are asking for is a lot of customization to manage the products and their shipping type then combine the shipping types correctly to work with checkout ...

While it can be done ... this would require a great deal of work ... have you got your coder hat on?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Well, I am a programmer, but I don't want to have to go to any extremes if I can help it, as I have enough to do as it is.

There must be a way I can use both my own stock and some dropshipping stock together in the same system.
    Seeing as the dropshipping items have fixed postage costs, I'm trying to think of a way to add fixed postage costs to the stock I carry, but I don't want to overcharge my customers or sell my profits short by miscalculations.

I intend to eventually only use my own stock, which means that it will be a lot simpler, but for now I need to use a dropshipper for some things.
    Here's hoping there's a solution that won't require my coding hat too much.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
    Rik

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RikMayall View Post
    Well, I am a programmer, but I don't want to have to go to any extremes if I can help it, as I have enough to do as it is.

There must be a way I can use both my own stock and some dropshipping stock together in the same system.
    Seeing as the dropshipping items have fixed postage costs, I'm trying to think of a way to add fixed postage costs to the stock I carry, but I don't want to overcharge my customers or sell my profits short by miscalculations.

I intend to eventually only use my own stock, which means that it will be a lot simpler, but for now I need to use a dropshipper for some things.
    Here's hoping there's a solution that won't require my coding hat too much.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
    Rik
    Did you get an answer to this problem? I'm having the same one

Plugin Contributions

There is a commercial shipping module that will do what you want and is well worth the money.

Check it out here.

http://dev.ceon.net/web/zen-cart/advshipper

Rick