Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Carousel Featured Products (carouFresel style) [Support Thread]

This is the official support thread for Carousel Featured Products. Just as the name implies, I duplicated the featured products module and stuck it inside of a jquery carousel (carouFresel to be exact).

This mod has been tested and is working on Zen Cart v1.5 and v1.51. I also have it working in conjunction with Nivo Slider and the CSS/JS loader.

This is my first mod and I'm not a coder so I'll do as much as I can to help with my limited knowledge of jquery and php if you run into issues - just go easy on me please.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Carousel Featured Products

I'll go easy. :)
    I don't mean any of the following to sound "heavy", but I'm aware that it might, so I wanted to say that up-front.
    It's an interesting concept, but I think it might be necessary to add some clarification for people who look at it to consider using it.

To be clear, this mod completely duplicates the built-in featured-products functionality and sets up two completely different sets of featured products specifically managed by this plugin, thus giving the storeowner three completely separately controlled featured-products systems, right?
    And if they uninstall this plugin then they completely lose all the featured-products data that they'd set up in the plugin, and would then need to completely recreate all their featured-products data in the default built-in featured-products pages, right?
    And there's no way to make these two new sets of featured products copy anything from their already-set-up featured products, right?
    And there's no means provided in this plugin to simply add the carousel display functionality to the existing built-in featured products handler, right?
    Are there additional caveats which storeowners should be aware of before using this plugin?

I can see people saying that it looks really complicated because of all the files involved (most of them used just to add the duplication of already-built-in functionality) instead of simply tweaking a single template file so that the output can display as a scrolling carousel.

How would you respond to someone who just wanted to add the carousel to the built-in featured-products data?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Darn it! You're right - I hadn't considered the fact that if you uninstall the module, the featured products would be gone. Thanks for bringing that up - better now than when someone gets upset because all their hard work goes to pot.

I was trying to make installation as easy as possible with as many features as possible and I think I went a little overboard ; I tend to do that a lot. I'll add the carousel to the current featured products, add a switch to turn it off and on and resubmit the mod.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by kamelion0927; 30 Sep 2012 at 04:47 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Okay - the mod has been rearranged and resubmitted.

This mod utilizes the flexibility of carouFredsel with the convenience of the Zen Cart featured products module.

Once installed, you will be able to choose whether to display the featured products on the home page neatly inside a carousel that is controlled by the viewer or the standard Zen Cart display.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a jquery based mod so it may be a bit tricky to install if you are unfamiliar with jquery and you have other mods that use jquery. If you have the CSS/JS Loader installed, you may have to move some javascript around and create an auto loader file for your index page.

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

This MOD sounds interesting but after installing all files and running the .sql, i do not get any option to setup.
    configuration/carousel featured products configuration has no option displayed.
    Also when running the .sql patch only 8 items were installed. Anything missing?

Thanks,

Dan

Plugin Contributions

Make sure the file YOUR_ADMIN > includes > languages > english > extra_definitions > carousel_featured_defines.php exists (YOUR_ADMIN being the name of your store admin folder). The options to configure the carousel and turn it off and on are in configuration > carousel featured products - no install needed within your admin dashboard.

I just installed this mod on both a 1.39h and 1.51 site as is and it worked.

There are only eight options to install so you're okay there.

If it still isn't showing any configuration options, try running the uninstall.sql and re-running the configuration sql.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kamelion0927 View Post
    Make sure the file YOUR_ADMIN > includes > languages > english > extra_definitions > carousel_featured_defines.php exists (YOUR_ADMIN being the name of your store admin folder). The options to configure the carousel and turn it off and on are in configuration > carousel featured products - no install needed within your admin dashboard.

Yup, did that, the file is indeed in the right place, did uninstalled and reinstalled the .sql but in vain...I get the following:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carousel.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	11325
    Looks like it's missing some file when uploading the whole thing. I confirm all files are into right place.

I just installed this mod on both a 1.39h and 1.51 site as is and it worked.
    I use 1.50, would this make any differences?

There are only eight options to install so you're okay there.
    Uninstalling the .sql gets me only 5 off!

If it still isn't showing any configuration options, try running the uninstall.sql and re-running the configuration sql.
    Thanks for your help

Dan

Plugin Contributions

Anyone would know why there is no option as seen below, am I missing something, first time this happened compare to all plugins I have already installed.

Name:	Untitled4.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	11376

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dix30simulation View Post
    Anyone would know why there is no option as seen below, am I missing something, first time this happened compare to all plugins I have already installed.

Name:	Untitled4.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	11376
    Apparently it's due to an incorrect faq uninstall. According to guru swguy, (see post here), the uninstall file is incorrect.

Try using
    PHP Code:
    SET @configuration_group_id=0;
    SELECT @configuration_group_id:=configuration_group_id
    FROM configuration_group
    WHERE configuration_group_title
    'Carousel Featured Products'
    LIMIT 1;
    DELETE FROM configuration WHERE configuration_group_id = @configuration_group_id AND configuration_group_id != 0;;
    DELETE FROM configuration_group WHERE configuration_group_id = @configuration_group_id AND configuration_group_id != 0;;

DELETE FROM admin_pages WHERE page_key 'configCarouselFeatured' LIMIT 1
    to uninstall. Then you can reinstall the sql again if you still want the mod.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kamelion0927 View Post
    Apparently it's due to an incorrect faq uninstall. According to guru swguy, (see post here), the uninstall file is incorrect.

Try using
    PHP Code:
    SET @configuration_group_id=0;
    SELECT @configuration_group_id:=configuration_group_id
    FROM configuration_group
    WHERE configuration_group_title
    'Carousel Featured Products'
    LIMIT 1;
    DELETE FROM configuration WHERE configuration_group_id = @configuration_group_id AND configuration_group_id != 0;;
    DELETE FROM configuration_group WHERE configuration_group_id = @configuration_group_id AND configuration_group_id != 0;;

DELETE FROM admin_pages WHERE page_key 'configCarouselFeatured' LIMIT 1
    to uninstall. Then you can reinstall the sql again if you still want the mod.
    Thank you, uninstalling was successfull although do get the same error while installing any .sql ( up to 4 differents plugins) and do get the same error message. Looks like there is a core file that is been modified since and is needed by any plugin

Name:	Untitled12345.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	11427

Where can I delete these extra """"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast