Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Tax Not Being Taken Out (Randomly)

Have any of you seen this before? Everything is working great, but on random orders, the tax is completely not being taken out.

However, from what I can gather, this only seems to happen when:

1) The orders are large....like more than 20 line items

2) AND... only when the discount coupon is used

3 AND... only when the order goes through as a Gift Certificate when no GC is used

Here are two screenshots from the SAME CUSTOMER, on two different orders. Both have over 20 items. Both charge tax, and yet, only one gets the tax taken out of it.

Any idea why?

I think it has to do with the (bug?) I have where RANDOM large orders from customers in my store come in as "Gift Certificate" even though no gift certificate was used.

You will notice that the order below which didn't take the tax out falls under that category (large order, many line items, registered as a Gift Certificate even though none was used, and no tax was taken out). Both are from the same customer.

NO TAX:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/images/temp/zcnotax.jpg

WITH TAX:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/images/temp/zctax.jpg

Any idea what I could check or tweak to make this work?
    - Jeff

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Tax Not Being Taken Out (Randomly)

Jeff-

Need more details - what version are you using? Upgraded or Fresh install? What addons are you using? What other customizations?
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Um ... on the order that's not showing the tax, the order-totals don't add up properly either.
    The difference appears to be the tax amount ?

What were the settings for the coupon?
    What are your settings for Discount Coupons in Admin->Modules->Order Total?
    Is your shipping taxable too ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Um ... on the order that's not showing the tax, the order-totals don't add up properly either.
    The difference appears to be the tax amount ?
    I don't know what's going on. In that example, if you add up all the items, the subtotal seems to be relatively correct. But when you subtract the discount coupon, and add back the shipping, the total price is WAY under what it should be.

What were the settings for the coupon?
    The coupon is something all our returning customers can use. It will deduct 10% off the order, but only on items that apply.

It's basically a 10% discount coupon, but there is a category restriction that states that if the particular product that you want to purchase is in this restricted coupon category, then it won't take the discount off.

So that way it's supposed to work (and how I thought it was working this entire time) is like this:

Item #1: 10.00
    Item #2: 10.00 (but linked to a non-discounted hidden category in our store)
    Item #3: 10.00
    --------------------------------
    TOTAL: 30.00
    10% Discount Coupon: - 2.00

It will not take the 10% off the second item because it is linked to a category which we restrict the coupon from applying. It's our little way of having non-discountable products due to some restrictions imposed by certain suppliers.

What are your settings for Discount Coupons in Admin->Modules->Order Total?
    This module is installed
    true

Sort Order

Include Shipping
    false

Include Tax
    False

Re-calculate Tax
    Standard

Tax Class
    --none--

Is your shipping taxable too ?
    It shouldn't be.
    - Jeff

Plugin Contributions

Hi ...

I'm having the exact same problem. It was configuring tax previously, then something happened. I didn't make any changes to the settings. I followed the Instructions on the Tax set up for Taxable goods for CA tax 8.25%...running cart version 3.7 -- Please HELP!!

Why is this not working? I also have the totals set up properly. We're not running any discount coupons or Gift Certificates at this time.

Thanks for any help on this.
    Kinget

Plugin Contributions

Well....I just figured out my own problem. Go to Admin > Location/Taxes -> Zones, then click on "Details" and make sure that the correct state is selected. Even though it may be selected on the front, I noticed a different state had been selected. I made the change and it seemed to fix the problem. Hope this helps.

Kinget

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for taking the time to post how you fixed your tax problem.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately, that isn't the problem with my original post. My tax zone is configured correctly.

I'm still waiting to hear from the developers if they have any other thoughts or ideas on what the problem may be.
    - Jeff

Plugin Contributions

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry I wasn't any help on that. In thinking about your problem, as I made this mistake a couple of times, and it gave a similar problem result as to what you are going through -- Did you also check your products set up in the catalog - making sure those that the "taxable items" have the correct tax label? (aka..."Taxable Goods" - which is the default label that you would select to add tax to the product) -- The cart will only charge tax for items labeled as taxable goods. (this is a label too that is editable, but the default is set up as "taxable goods") If some of the products do not have the correct label, they would not be charged tax. Is it possible that some of those products that are not being charged tax mistakenly do not have the tax label selected in the product set up? You probably already checked those, but I thought I would mention it.

Kinget

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Mash View Post
    I don't know what's going on.
    That makes 2 of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Mash View Post
    The coupon is something all our returning customers can use. It will deduct 10% off the order, but only on items that apply.

It's basically a 10% discount coupon, but there is a category restriction that states that if the particular product that you want to purchase is in this restricted coupon category, then it won't take the discount off.

It's our little way of having non-discountable products due to some restrictions imposed by certain suppliers.
    Does this ever happen if there are no "restricted" products linked from hidden categories in the order?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast