Thread: First steps?

Plugin Contributions

Default First steps?

I managed to get Zen Cart installed, it wasn't very painful. now I guess I need to change the design a little so that it looks a little different. The installed look is nice but I think I would like something different if I can. I'm reading here and it seems there is tons of information. Is it best to make changes to the installed look or is it best to try one of the other looks from the downloads area?

Making changes may be a little over my head but I am willing to give it a try at least.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: First steps?

You shouldn't make changes directly to the installed template (Classic); instead, copy the /includes/templates/classic/ folders and files to /includes/templates/your_template/ (name it as you wish, but no spaces or punctuation, and better to avoid caps). Edit /your_template/template_info.php in a text editor to fit your custom info, and follow template creation/installation instructions in the FAQ/tutorials to turn it on.

Then have fun, play with it until it breaks, and just make a new copy if the one you're working on does break. That's an important reason to keep the /classic/ files untouched.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: First steps?

Welcome to Zen Cart!

This FAQ section should help a bit with making your customizations. Enjoy! https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?category=4
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.