Plugin Contributions

help question Browser incompatibilities

I wonder if anyone knows how to correct some browser problems. I am still working on my site, but a friend alerted me that it is not showing up right for her. I checked all my browsers. It looks fine in Safari and Firefox. However, Netscape chops the side boxes into a jagged misallignment in one place. Internet Explorer handles the side boxes okay, but it completely deletes my entire header banner. So it looks like an anonymous site.
    The link is www.store.stitchinthyme.com/cart

I am on my way to bed, but I thought I'd post this tonight and check for answers in the morning since, when I get up at 5, west coast people will be asleep. WC people seem to know a lot about the internet workings.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Browser incompatibilities

did you ever figure out how to fix your problem.
    internet explorer 7 cuts my banner in half but 6 is just fine

Plugin Contributions

I have not figured out anything about how to fix the problems with the browsers. If I don't get any answers, I will just have to post a notice on the front page that it views best with Firefox and Safari. I don't know anything to try. I only have IE 5.2 since I never use it if I can avoid it. I suppose I should upgrade to see how it looks in the newer versions.

I did try using the "alt header" file I found on the downloads page. (called alt_headerv1.0txt) It is one of the overrides someone made. As I was putting it in, I noticed some codes to fix something with IE. My banner now shows up in both IE and Netscape. However, there are two lines of code above the banner in both of these browsers. At the very top, above my banner, it says,

else { $thispage = substr($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'],$slashpos+1,strlen($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])-1); } if ($thispage == "index.php" || $thispage == "index.php?main_page=index" || $thispage == "") { echo ''; } else { echo '' ; } ?>

That's better than no banner at all and I'm afraid if I remove it, something will mess up. Since I do not know how to code php, I am not making any changes until I gain more knowledge or find a fix someone else has made.

Good luck with yours. Maybe the header override will fix yours.

Plugin Contributions

i know how to fix the banner issue
    in your stylesheet you need to adjust your banner pixel size im still working on other browser incompatibilities

#logoWrapper{
    background-image: url(../images/header_bg.jpg);
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-color: #ffffff;
    height:75px; <------------------
    }

Plugin Contributions

I may play around with that a bit of code. It's something I can play with when I get some time. but my banner image is 220 px high. If I shrink it to fit it into a 75 px area it would not be possible to read the text which is part of the image. I also think it would ruin the look of my page. If IE will not show any banner higher than 75 px, I might just tell viewers not to use it. Thanks for the tip, though.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah... the IE nightmare...

What I found to be the most effective way, is to

1. Borrow a Windows laptop from a friend
    2. Launch that crap browser by the name of Internet Explorer
    3. Create an IE stylesheet on your beautiful Mac (assuming you're a Mac user since you have Safari but not IE?)
    4. Play around with your IE stylesheet until your site looks half as good in IE (let's face it, everything is more beautiful on a Mac :) )

That's how I fix the IE problems with all the sitesssss I built.

HTH and good luck !
    Shirley :)

Plugin Contributions

then change the 75 pixel to 22o px then it will show the whole banner.
    thats how i fixed mine