Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Customer Tax Exempt

v1.1.0 CUSTOMER TAX EXEMPT

1. rewrote code to allow customers to be exempt from individual taxes;

Please post all bugs in this thread!

This contribution will be available from the downloads section once it is confirmed to be bug free. Please confirm by posting here.
    Last edited by numinix; 24 Jul 2007 at 09:11 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Tax Exempt

There has been no bug reports, so I have uploaded this contribution to the downloads section.

This contribution solves the issue of two different contributions. One creates a tax exemption by adding the taxes and then subtracting them. This contribution was not very reliable and only worked in cases where the tax rates were always the same percentage.

The other contribution made all taxes completely exempt which is only useful to a very small group of people as most exempt customers are only exempt from one certain kind of tax.

This contribution allows you to remove the tax on a per tax basis as well as on a per customer basis. You can make the customer exempt from all taxes, one tax, or any number of applicable taxes.

Plugin Contributions

If you want or need to include the percentage in the tax descriptions and the inevitable occurs, a tax increase, it seems one will need to reenter the tax description for every tax exempt customer. This could be a serious problem for stores with a lot of tax exempt customers.

The other contribution made all taxes completely exempt which is only useful to a very small group of people
    This is true in Canada but not necessarily in the US. We do not usually need to collect tax from customers that resell products we sold to them. And US Government customers are not allowed to pay tax.
    Last edited by agsjim; 4 Aug 2007 at 07:03 AM.

Plugin Contributions

This contribution does what your contribution does as well as for individual taxes. The functionality is exactly the same. You can simply enter the word "ALL" and it will make all taxes exempt for that customer.

Plugin Contributions

I wasn't commenting on the functionality of the mod.
    Just the hassle it will be when taxes increase and your current tax percentage is part of the tax description. I understand that this is not an issue when using the "ALL" option.

I actually do not know PHP or any other programing language, so I don't know if this is possible or too nutty to code. Is it possible to have the stores taxes show up as a list with check boxes, defaulted to checked then admins could just uncheck the exempted taxes? This would not only make this mod very slick but would also allow the updating of the tax description.

Plugin Contributions

This mod was an interesting mod to write. And although I enjoyed writing it, I don't really have a need to improve the functionality of it as it works perfectly for Canada Taxes. When a tax rate increases, you don't need to change the tax description, simply raise the tax rate. Just keep the tax descriptions generic like "Washington State."

I'm happy enough that the mod covers the current tax issues that nearly every zen cart merchant faced with the previous mods. What I'd like to see next is a contribution that can add recycling fees on a per product_type basis now that many provinces and states are charging these fees on electronics.

Plugin Contributions

What are the differences between your Tax Exempt mod and the following:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=155

Many thanks

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DogTags View Post
    What are the differences between your Tax Exempt mod and the following:

http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=155

Many thanks
    The first tax exempt mod "Tax Exemption Status" worked by refunding the tax in the order total. This frequently caused one penny errors in the order's total. It seemed to be an incomplete clone of the group discount mod. The Include Shipping, Include Tax and Re-calculate Tax options of this mod did not function.
    Also getting this mod to behave and calculate the order totals correctly could make you go nuts! Especially if you have other discounts, coupons......

This mod, "Customer Tax Exempt" does not use a refund approach but simply makes the tax equal zero. Or since the rewrite one or all taxes, that is if you need to charge more than one tax.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by numinix View Post
    Just keep the tax descriptions generic like "Washington State."
    This should be made very clear in the documentation!
    Or folks are gonna curse this mod come tax increase time.

I would also include instructions on how to set multiple exemptions, ie. comma delimited. I know the example generated by the mod shows to use commas but this may not always be noticed by a zenner who is juggling a bazillion things and has so much caffeine pulsing through their veins that they don't notice the 15 emails in their inbox from the client telling them they don't want tax exempt functionality any more.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, I did a quick and not integrated solution when I couldn't get the Tax exemption module working and I realized that it just basically subtracted the tax.

I will take a look at your Mod when I get time numinix, it sounds like what I am looking for.

Anyway, with the realization that the module is just basically subtracting the tax amount, this is what I did.

I created a "group pricing" under customers called PST exempt and made the discount 7% (BC PST)

When I get a customer who is PST exempt I add them to the PST exempt group and it gives them a 7% discount called "PST exempt"

And last but not least, I changed "Fax number" to "Tax number" everywhere in the files and I can collect the tax number when they set up the account. I Ithink I moved it to show up under "additional contact information" (I don't require Fax numbers so it worked for me)

I have edit order working on my site, so I just go in to their first order and subtract 7% and name it PST exempt. After I move them to the pricing group, they just automatically tax exempt.

I have been setting up my site for a long time (has months turned to over a year) as i have a lot of product, so I haven't really been able to test this except with test orders I create, so I am not sure if there is anything I didn't think of, but it works for now.

I am looking for something that actually removes the tax rather than subtracts it, but up to now I have not seen anything that works.

hth, Pat

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast