Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Screen Resolution IS important!

In the past week I have seen quite a few sites posted to the Showcase & in the reviews section that are just plain huge. While bigger monitors are becoming the norm, I don't believe that you should limit your viewers with smaller monitors or those that choose not to view in a full size window.

You might want to check out this article by Jakob Nielsen - http://www.useit.com/alertbox/screen_resolution.html

Enjoy!
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Screen Resolution IS important!

I have also found that there are differences between widescreen laptop and regular desktop monitors. (Ask me how I know!)

Not only should a person check out their site in multiple browsers, but use different screen resolutions as well. As an extra safety measure, it doesn't hurt to check them out on a different type of monitor to be on the safe side. A site I thought looked great on my laptop looked horrible on a normal desktop with a standard CRT monitor.
    Lesli in SW Florida ~ writer, teacher, and dodging hurricanes!

Plugin Contributions

It's quite simple.

Design for 750px wide (or thereabouts), and know how your site will look to all users, or use a fluid layout.

I prefer the former.

Don't forget we are talking e-commerce here. People want easy navigation, speed, good images, security and confidence that you'll deliver the goods.

Zencart sites don't have to be works of art. Amazon isn't, or Play.com, or plenty of others.

Nothing annoys punters more than horizontal scrolling, and in my opinion, a site that needs it is a bad site.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    In the past week I have seen quite a few sites posted to the Showcase & in the reviews section that are just plain huge. While bigger monitors are becoming the norm, I don't believe that you should limit your viewers with smaller monitors or those that choose not to view in a full size window.

You might want to check out this article by Jakob Nielsen - http://www.useit.com/alertbox/screen_resolution.html

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the great link... and the author is credible... beats some of the wanna bee's who are in-credi-BULL.

I sent this link to lots of folks and sincerely appreciate you sharing it with the rest of us.

jund

Plugin Contributions

I agree with BudFox more than the Jakob Nielson article. It still makes sense to design for 800px width screens. There are still PCs being made that use 800x600 or 800x480 screens (like the popular Asus EEE and other UMPCs), and that is generally adequate real estate for a store.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I spent the last 20 years as a graphic designer... I'm modding the classic template (again...). Lost the right column, made the left one a little wider, and I've got the thing at 90% of window width... I like a clean look, not a lot of "who let the color fairy out?" stuff, and large pictures, so people can see what they're doing. Probably do some mild colors next.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah screen size is important ... especially on how you want to display the site. I have been developing websites for over 12 years now and I have always...well since 2000 been using this freeware utility called Sizer.

Sizer resizes any window to a preset or customized resolution size through a menu when you right click the title bar of a window. No need to change your computer's resolution anymore.

I hope this doesn't break tos ... but I want to share the link with you guys as this really helped me with resolution and how you want to present the pages to this day.

Link: brianapps.net/sizer.html

Hope this helps as much as it helped me out in the past
    Nightfyre ( Ray )

Plugin Contributions

Finding a happy medium is important.

Through using analytics we have determined only 6% of our visitors use 800x600 or less. Therefore we have optimised for 1024x768+ to cater for the remaining 94% of users optimally.

There is no way i would design a website at a width of 700px with 22" widescreens being the norm for any new computer these days where they nearly all run 1680x1050px. Doing so would leave you with more than 50% of un-used space for the majority of viewers.

Plugin Contributions

Stats can tell you what screens people are buying, but can they tell you what width their browser windows are?

I have a 1680 x 1050 pixel screen, but my browser is never more than 1000 px wide. And when I run into a site that forces me to widen it, or to scroll horizontally, I leave -- unless I have a very strong reason to stay.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Screen Resolution IS important!

Hello!
    Good advice form all! I try to stay with the 1024x768 rule. It is a "Middle of the road" approach. You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    I use two monitors running in multiple display mode. My 22" is running at 1680 x 1050 and my 17" is running at 1024x768. I do my design work on the 22" monitor and check pages on the 17" monitor. Most inexpensive add on graphics cards support this feature. It sure is a handy time saver.
    P.S. Funny I sholud be listed as a new "Zenner", that is my last name...hahaha...That makes me a 52 year old Zenner...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast