Plugin Contributions

Default Credit card and pay pal information..

Where does this information get stored? Is it placed into a database file on the server, or is it never saved only processed right to a e-mail?

Also can we have a third party to store our information if it needs to be? that way we are not at fault if something were to happen?

I'm just not too sure how the whole process of information is taken care of, and how exactly a transaction is completed...

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Credit card and pay pal information..

PayPal stores its own information. On your side, you'll have the customer information. If you are using the PayPal IPN, you will get a response from PayPal, but that shouldn't include any customer information.

If you are processing credit cards manually, part of the number is stored in the database and the rest is emailed to you. In order to process the sale, you have to retrieve the rest of the number from the database.

If you're using a gateway like PayPal to process all your credit card transactions, the information isn't stored in your database, so you don't need to worry about it.

HTH!
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

if you are in the uk and using the manual method of creditcard then you are breaking the law. something to do with breach of personal/confidential information or something

how ever if you are using paypal then you never get to see this information so you are safe there, you dont need ssl either for this.

how ever if someone hacks your site and finds people address etc from you database you are breaking the same law again, so ssl is required.

this is probally not relavant to this but thought you might want to know

Plugin Contributions

Afo answered

<< If you are processing credit cards manually, part of the number is stored in the database and the rest is emailed to you. In order to process the sale, you have to retrieve the rest of the number from the database.>>

WHERE do you retrieve the rest of the number?

I did a test order and discovered that the middle section was missing but can't find WHERE to access the rest.

Thank you in advance for your answer,

Beth-Katherine

Plugin Contributions

DUH. I just clicked on the link that showed up in my question and found the answer.

Silly me