Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default NewB Using Zen Cart Book to install XAMPP-configuration problems!!

Hello all-great site, great software, great book, but I'm an idiot and having tons of problems.

1) I downloaded the most recent version of XAMPP at the link provided on pg. 33 (www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html), which for Mac OS is v.0.6.3. (It includes PHP 4.4.7 AND PHP 5.2.2.) According to one of the FAQ's, PHP 4.4.x is recommended. But when I start up the XAMPP server panel (or Terminal), it automatically starts using the PHP 5.2.2, and I understand this version of PHP is not supported fully by ZenCart. How can I use the version that's in the XAMPP package that is recommended for optimal use of ZenCart?

2) Also, the XAMPP package does not include Mercury Mail, since, as I understand Mercury Mail does not have a version for Mac. Is this correct? Is there some other mail program that is recommended instead?

3) Also, the book tells you to use the XAMPP control panel. The XAMPP package directions tell you to use Terminal. Which should I use? Is it just a matter of personal preference? Is this a stupid question?

4) The book also tells you to configure a local domain in your WINDOWS XP hosts file. Where do I find the equivalent on Mac so I can configure the browser, email, and mail server access like it tells you to on pg. 37? Is this in my System Preferences/Network/Proxies area?

That's it for now, since I'm at an impasse by pg. 37.
    I'm running OS X.4.10. Sorry to ask so many idiotic questions-I have searched the forum for over 2 hours, but could not find responses to these specific questions in the context of the recommendations in the book.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!
    ::Carly::

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: NewB Using Zen Cart Book to install XAMPP-configuration problems!!

Carly,

Have not set this up on a MAC and do not have the book.....
    Also, the XAMPP package does not include Mercury Mail, since, as I understand Mercury Mail does not have a version for Mac. Is this correct? Is there some other mail program that is recommended instead?
    For a local development install you do not need mail services. If you are thinking about trying to host this on your own box - think again as to serve the www wven a T1 at 1.5Mbps is too slow

php 5.2.2 should function fine with Zen Cart and as support for 4.x is ending this December more and more Hosts will be converting

You should be able to find the hosts file at /etc/hosts
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hi carlyjcais,

kobra is right.

Furthermore, pls PM me your email address so I can try sorting out your local installation problems on the Mac as it relates to the book.

Thanks.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, Kobra, for your reply!

No, I am DEFINITELY not going to host the cart on my computer; installing the email program is for the sole purpose of testing the cart, as it instructs you to in the book. I'm pretty much the type that if "jump off a cliff" were in the instructions, I would go ahead and do it.:-)

I will just use the PHP 5.2.2 as you suggested. It would be great if in the FAQ for ZenCart this little tidbit of information could be updated so that people like myself who don't know better don't read that about PHP 4.x and start freaking out like I did.

On the XAMPP download page for MacOSX, there are a number of options available; I downloaded the first one ("Installer Version - Intel Only"). There is also a version below ("Intel Only"), and then a "Developer Package". I didn't know what I was supposed to download, so I just downloaded the first one.

As to the hosts file, there is no such file at /etc/hosts (at least not in the version I downloaded). There is a file at apache/vhosts but I am not sure if this is the same thing. Of course since I haven't configured apache properly, I cannot go to //localhost and see the XAMPP page.

I PM'd Mr. Hoek my email so that he can instruct me further, and then either myself or he will add to this thread so other users like myself can learn!
    Thank you for your time!
    Best,

Plugin Contributions

OK-for other people starting out who are wondering how to do this on the Mac-you're not alone! Mr. Hoek emailed me and gave me some advice, so I am now working through it bit by bit to set things up.

For the Mac, he advises using MAMP, not XAMPP, as your PHP/MySQL/Apache software (probably discussed elsewhere on this forum but I had missed that). As to specific set-up configurations, using TextWrangler to edit the coding, setting up Apache James as your mail server, and using Terminal to operate some of the software, that is incredibly complicated for someone non-technically savvy like myself, so I can't even begin to explain. It doesn't follow the book's instructions, since Mac requires different configurations.

For other newbies with a problem starting out, search the Forum threads, see if there's anyone else in the same situation who has given advice before. Your answer may be there. If not, post what your problem is-either some of the generous other posters will try to help you out, or Mr. Hoek himself will ask you to give your email address so he can instruct you personally. Either way there are answers out there-just ask for them!
    Thanks to Kobra and GKH-I am on my way to installing the cart!

Plugin Contributions

Carly,

Great!!! You are gonna really like it!!

BTW: Are you on a G3, G4, or G5?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Kobra-
    None of the above. I am on a MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, apparently:-)).

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for that thread guys. I'm about to embark on the very same path as yourself Carly.
    I find it's usually the case as a Mac user that after spending 30€ on a software book I have to discard it and dredge net the forums for weeks to find a solution. Because the root info is different for Mac OS X 10.4+ ete etc.
    Thanks to people like yourselves it stop me pulling my hair out.
    Cheers.

Plugin Contributions

I just installed MAMP and have attempted to edit the Hosts file with the appropriate changes as layed out in the book, as well as edited the httpd.conf file in apache to include ServerName www.example.com:8888

Yet when I load www.example.com in the browser I get an error message about being unable to connect to the server. Should I expect to be presented with a MAMP interface, like one would with a XAMPP interface like in windows?

Is there anywhere with complete, ordered documentation about setting all this up on OS X? Im assuming that once all this setup business is completed everything else from within Zen Cart is the same regardless of operating system.

Plugin Contributions

Yet when I load www.example.com in the browser I get an error message about being unable to connect to the server.
    You have this installed but have you started it?
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast