Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: NewB Using Zen Cart Book to install XAMPP-configuration problems!!

Yes, I did this all the while having MAMP installed, and running with both MySQL and Apache running/started. I also was sure to restart the computer once I had changed the necessary settings.

Plugin Contributions

With the exception of using 8888 instead of 80 in the apache httpd.conf file for MAMP, should all of my other edits duplicated what is in the book? Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

This is why I use a "live" sandbox site for my personal dev work on my own sites. Because I can see changes reflected in real-time on the internet itself. I use a deep directory, get the site the way I want, then transfer the files to my "live" site once it's working. It will behave exactly the way I want that way. I think that's a lot easier than trying to install extra software, configure it, debug it, learn it, and THEN take a site live.

The only time I had trouble is when I tried to use a customer's site for a new install. Turns out it was a server problem which I didn't get resolved because the customer switched servers (again) before they could track down the issue (they did admit it looked like it was on their end and escalated the issue through tech support). I knew the files worked, because they worked in a "real" environment, but differences in server setups can cause problems. And you'd still have these problems moving from a "local" computer to your live site if there are differences.

In the case of a Mac, as you noted, there can be even more problems, where if you use a "sandbox" site on your own host account, you can debug the site itself instead of having to make stuff work with your Mac first, which can be time consuming for someone who just wants to put a site up.

Just my .02 I hate having to use any more software or take any extra steps than I have to. *LOL*
    Lesli in SW Florida ~ writer, teacher, and dodging hurricanes!

Plugin Contributions

Ok, hi everyone I'm new here and new using Zen Cart.

I have a iMac PowerPC G5 Version 10.4.11 (not intel), I have just bought the e-book on Zen-Cart and just realised its not very Mac orientated

Can someone who has been successful in, installing MAMP etc and Zen Cart on their Mac machine please advise me what I need to do? Feeling very confused

Thanking you in advance

Plugin Contributions

have just created a new thread with my query.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80446

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12