Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal IPN and Express Checkout

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    No. The PayPal interface is controlled by PayPal. If you'd like to make a suggestion to PayPal to make it more prominent, you can log a ticket on their support site.

Try clearing your browser cookies to be sure your PayPal settings aren't being remembered ... otherwise you may be getting confused by what "you're" seeing vs what your customers are seeing.
    Ahh, yes I think this could be it, Like you say, I should clear the cookies, this could have an effect on what the initial paypal page looks like.

I might give try logging a ticket on their support site, but I'm not going to hold out too much hope for them changing it. :)

Thanks Dr Byte, as always you've been very helpful.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal IPN and Express Checkout - ANSWER

Hi All,

After much frustration for myself and my client, I made a phone call to Paypal. Here is the deal:

Paypal logs the IP of people who log in to their site. If the IP is recognized, a page with a prominent login is shown, with the itty bitty link to the left where you can access the form. If the IP is not recognized (or for some reason if you are using internet explorer - certain versions), the form is displayed nicely and neatly on the left.

Even if you clear cookies, no dice, the login will still be prominent - it is a paypal setting, although the folks in tech support would not completely overtly admit it. They said I "might be onto something" when I asked about it, and also that it probably wouldn't be changed.

I did log a trouble ticket in their system over it.

Plugin Contributions

With PayPal express they don't enter any information on your site, once you click the button you just enter in the PP username and password, or fill in your info and CC information, then it takes you back to the Confirm order page.
    Takes less pages, less time, and makes all my customers MUCH happier.</div>
    Quote Originally Posted by justjoshenu View Post
    but what if your customer already has an account or decided to make an account before paying. paypal express won't pass that information (fill in your info for a CC transaction) like ipn would, so they would have to re-enter it...so it would be slower / repetitive right.....unless you used ipn which passes it?
    am i missing something? if someone doesn't have a paypal account, then they will have to enter all their information again (once for create an account, and once for paypal) because express does not pass the account information, while ipn does. right?

is there a way to make all the checkout buttons go to paypal, that is, do not allow them to create an account on my site, since after paying with paypal that will automatically happen...?

Plugin Contributions

Hi,

I think i was asking a similar question on another thread: why two checkout buttons?

Since I only have PP express enabled i cannot see the point of two buttons. Like
    justjoshenu says with the standard checkout the user just ends up creating an account which is automatically done when they use paypal express.

Another 'Zencarter' just suggested that i remove the standard checkout button. But i'm interested in hearing what other people do? Do most people just remove the standard checkout button when they only have paypal express enabled as a payment option?

Thanks,

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by taf View Post
    Hi,

I think i was asking a similar question on another thread: why two checkout buttons?

Since I only have PP express enabled i cannot see the point of two buttons. Like
    justjoshenu says with the standard checkout the user just ends up creating an account which is automatically done when they use paypal express.

Another 'Zencarter' just suggested that i remove the standard checkout button. But i'm interested in hearing what other people do? Do most people just remove the standard checkout button when they only have paypal express enabled as a payment option?

Thanks,
    perhaps you need two, so that the same user doesn't make duplicate accounts if they order more than once? i think i read somewhere that zencart wouldnt allow the same email address to make two accounts though. i could be wrong.

Plugin Contributions

This solves my paypal express problem about signing with paypal. Now it shows that link if you dont have an account. But for the express it doesnt show the credit card pictures like the ipn does. But this is ok for now. but it would be much better to spot if it was shown like the ipn.

Plugin Contributions

Please make your suggestions to PayPal. That is their area.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I ended up dropping the Express module and only use the IPN. I kept getting issues with the shipping section.. It would tell the customer that the Country Orgin not recconized. Even in the USA.. I also found that many customers do not have thier phone number listed with paypal.

One other thing that I disliked about PPE... The Paypal Express button is too prominate for the sign up of new customers. It makes the customer believe that they need paypal to make a payment.

IPN takes a little longer to fill out the info,, but ....it pays off in the long run on the admin side if further contact is needed on an order.

Just my two cents. Keep up the great work!

I love Zencart, it blows OSC out of the water. :)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345