Plugin Contributions

Default Shipping config headaches

Although most of zen-cart seems reasonably easy to set up and alter, the shipping solutions are not intuitive, to say the least.

Here is what I require for shipping:

I have tried cloning the flat rate files, and I can now configure two separate flat rates. I then set up a table rate for Canada. However, when a user is from the USA, they also see the table rate that should just be for the Canada zone. I have the Canada zone set up.

I have also tried setting up a custom zone for Alaska, Hawaii, and US territories, but that doesn't seem to be cooperating at all. Any guidance appreciated. I am also willing to pay to get this working.
    Last edited by calydon; 9 Aug 2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: clarity

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shipping config headaches

Quote Originally Posted by calydon View Post
    Although most of zen-cart seems reasonably easy to set up and alter, the shipping solutions are not intuitive, to say the least.

Here is what I require for shipping:

I have tried cloning the flat rate files, and I can now configure two separate flat rates. I then set up a table rate for Canada. However, when a user is from the USA, they also see the table rate that should just be for the Canada zone. I have the Canada zone set up.

I have also tried setting up a custom zone for Alaska, Hawaii, and US territories, but that doesn't seem to be cooperating at all. Any guidance appreciated. I am also willing to pay to get this working.
    For the Zone Rates, do you just have CA in the "Zone 1 Countries" box, or do you have US, CA?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for responding.

I actually don't even have 'zone rates' set up. Is that a requirement to get flat rate and table rate shipping to work?

Plugin Contributions

Hmm, well maybe this is progress.

Can I possibly clone the zone rate shipping (since it allows for a table rate) to get my two methods of delivery within canada?

How can I set it up so that the free shipping options override the zone rate shipping so instead of seeing the free shipping option AND this message within zone rates "The shipping rate cannot be determined at this time".

Which is surely confusing for any buyer.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by calydon View Post
    Thanks for responding.

I actually don't even have 'zone rates' set up. Is that a requirement to get flat rate and table rate shipping to work?
    Well, the zones would work great, EXCEPT Alaska, Hawaii, etc. will get the US rate.

You could use the zones for US and CA, then set up a table rate for the US territories, Hawaii and Alaska. Then create a new "Zones Definition" in the "Locations/Taxes" section, perhaps call it Non-Continental US or something, then add all of the zones you want to that zone definition. Then in the table rate shipping section, restrict that table rate to Non-Continental US zone.

Oh, and sorry, I haven't been paying attention to your need for dual shipping CA rates. Hmm, will have to think on that more...
    Last edited by jettrue; 11 Aug 2007 at 12:06 AM.

Plugin Contributions

If you want to PM me your admin info, I'd be happy to set this up for you. If you've set up the zones correctly, and restricted to the zone it the shipping, your original setup should work OK, however, I'd suggest doing as you mentioned (if possible) and clone the zone rates so you could use the zone rate for both CA rates.

As for free shipping, if you use the zone rates, you can just set everything over 79 to 0, so you can remove the free shipping module.

Plugin Contributions

That's a great idea! I will try to follow your suggestions jettrue, but if I can't get it to work, what would you charge to set it up?