Plugin Contributions

Default Server upgraded mysql and there are problems - upgrading questions on 1.3.6 to 1.3.7

I have a problem with the server that I installed a 1.3.6 cart, which has been running perfectly with no problems....additions and security bugs have always been added..... However the problem is that the server upgraded their mysql database to mysql5, which also changed the direction of the original config files for from "localhost" to another address. The server wanted me to change the configuration so that they could disable the other server...however when I just adjusted the config files, I got this error when trying to go to a product or category on the cart: "invalid column....'p.products_id' not found..."

First, can I proceed without having to upgrading the cart (as the client would prefer not to do it at this time), and what would need to be changed other than the config files in order not to receive those errors.... How should I proceed? Or if I have to do a full upgrade, how do I proceed with this mysql change...so that there is little to no down time on the site? There was custom work done to the cart, but those directories of course were set in overrides as templates (so that's not a problem)...also the admin directory was changed for security reasons. I'm not sure how to do this upgrade and if so, do I need to just do an entire new install? Or is there a manual installation that can be done to fix the immediate problem, and I can do the upgrade later as the client requests? This one really has me stumped. (still a newbie)

I appreciate your great expertise and advise as always...thanks for your help.
    Kinget

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server upgraded mysql and there are problems - upgrading questions on 1.3.6 to 1.

If you have all in overrides correctly, then the upgrade to 1.3.7 is fairly straight forward and simple.

Always back up files and DB first.

Download 1.3.7 and expand locally. Connect to your host via FTP to the Zen Cart location where you can see the folders like includes etc. change the folder for admin back to admin on the host and edit the 2 config file to reflect(maybe rename the current ones to configure.sec and change a copy).

Once this is done - highlight all Zen Cart folders and files on your local and transfer to your host. All files will be overritten that exist.

Enter the shop address in the browser and add /zc_install to the end. Select to upgrade DB only and when asked for an admin this is a Zen Cart admin.

When done check the shop front end and admin.

Now rename the admin folder and replace the configure.php files to their correct locations. You Are Done.

Now you did not state the mysql specific version for 5.x - if it is 5.2.x there should be little to no issues. Some of the 5.0? versions had issues but were either addressed by Zen Cart or by later releases of mysql.

And you should look at the change log for Zen Cart and compare it to the files that you have in your overrides areas - if there are files that were changed you can diff these to update them
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Server upgraded mysql and there are problems - upgrading questions on 1.3.6 to 1.

Hi Kobra,

Thank you for your quick response. :-) The version is 5.0.32? Are you aware of any issues there? The server said it is the latest version of the "5.0" series? Whatever that means.

Question... When you mean grab all the directories, I'm assuming that you are referring to all the directories, except images, or would the upgrade just upload files that do not exist and leave the products and etc as they are? I'm sorry if that is a dumb question...The templates and changes were in template directories in several areas of the store. I'm assuming those would remain even if I upload over them into their corresponding directories?

The store address is on the top directory...the store is the web site, so to speak. Would I have to put the store into "maintenance mode" while I perform this operation? It seems so - also if I obtain DB errors, how would I fix the store once I've uploaded?

I'm also confused about the DB and how to upload a backup of the db if there are problems.

Thanks for your help...I'm a bit scared in doing this...it's really my first upgrade experience.

Kinget

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    If you have all in overrides correctly, then the upgrade to 1.3.7 is fairly straight forward and simple.

Always back up files and DB first.

Download 1.3.7 and expand locally. Connect to your host via FTP to the Zen Cart location where you can see the folders like includes etc. change the folder for admin back to admin on the host and edit the 2 config file to reflect(maybe rename the current ones to configure.sec and change a copy).

Once this is done - highlight all Zen Cart folders and files on your local and transfer to your host. All files will be overritten that exist.

Enter the shop address in the browser and add /zc_install to the end. Select to upgrade DB only and when asked for an admin this is a Zen Cart admin.

When done check the shop front end and admin.

Now rename the admin folder and replace the configure.php files to their correct locations. You Are Done.

Now you did not state the mysql specific version for 5.x - if it is 5.2.x there should be little to no issues. Some of the 5.0? versions had issues but were either addressed by Zen Cart or by later releases of mysql.

And you should look at the change log for Zen Cart and compare it to the files that you have in your overrides areas - if there are files that were changed you can diff these to update them

Plugin Contributions

If you are with a host that provides cPanel with all functions then there is a simple method there - look for backup.

Yes, I would switch to maint mode, especially if you are on a slow up link and maybe late at night if the shop has business

mysql ver 5.0.45-0 is the latest I know of
    Last edited by kobra; 10 Aug 2007 at 11:53 PM.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten