Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

red flag How to find a text string

I had a similar problem with some words that Template Monster added to a shopping cart box. Spent hours and hours and hours searching every file to find these words, but they did not seem to be anywhere. Finally I downloaded a program called "xsearch" from the internet (it's free) which will search for certain words inside any folder that you specify (it searches the contents of each file).

For example, you could search for "St Vincent Place" in your main Zencart folder on your hardrive. It will then tell you which files these words are hiding inside.

My guess is that the words will be inside a file called tpl_tmfuncs.php in your themes/theme000/common folder. TM appears to have decided to add some extra variables without telling anybody, and they like to hide them in this file. On the other hand, I have also found cases where they randomly will hardcode things like this into certain php files. It is nearly impossible to predict. That's why this Xsearch tool is so great.

I have used it several time so far, and it finds the targetted text every time. Someone told me that I could also do the same this with Developers Toolkit in the tools menu of admin, but this method did not work for me (the toolkit could not find the specified words). Windows XP's search function is supposed to do the same thing, but it does not seem to work for me for some reason.

I have to give Jack from zen-cart.cn credit for telling me how to do this. He is the "zen guru" in China.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by thomasw98 View Post
    I had a similar problem with some words that Template Monster added to a shopping cart box. Spent hours and hours and hours searching every file to find these words, but they did not seem to be anywhere. Finally I downloaded a program called "xsearch" from the internet (it's free) which will search for certain words inside any folder that you specify (it searches the contents of each file).

For example, you could search for "St Vincent Place" in your main Zencart folder on your hardrive. It will then tell you which files these words are hiding inside.

My guess is that the words will be inside a file called tpl_tmfuncs.php in your themes/theme000/common folder. TM appears to have decided to add some extra variables without telling anybody, and they like to hide them in this file. On the other hand, I have also found cases where they randomly will hardcode things like this into certain php files. It is nearly impossible to predict. That's why this Xsearch tool is so great.

I have used it several time so far, and it finds the targetted text every time. Someone told me that I could also do the same this with Developers Toolkit in the tools menu of admin, but this method did not work for me (the toolkit could not find the specified words). Windows XP's search function is supposed to do the same thing, but it does not seem to work for me for some reason.

I have to give Jack from zen-cart.cn credit for telling me how to do this. He is the "zen guru" in China.
    A lot of developers tools have what you said XSearch does. Like for instance, Dreamweaver allows you to search within your current site, a specific folder, etc ...

The developer's tool kit searches files for exact string matches, so if you entered a space on accident or left out a _ it won't return what your looking for. Make sure to leave out ; as they're not everywhere an instance of that text would be.
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:21 AM.

Plugin Contributions

even better

look in your admin in your browser,
    go to tools -> developers toolkit....

This is already built in
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:22 AM.
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    even better

look in your admin in your browser,
    go to tools -> developers toolkit....

This is already built in
    Merlin did ya read the posts?
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:22 AM.

Plugin Contributions

sure did

and like I said rather than adding something new take a look in the
    admin -> tools -> developers toolkit

zen cart already has the ability to do this,

but this is getting off topic,

this thread needs to be left open to communicate directly with TM about getting their collective $h1t together.
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:23 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    this thread needs to be left open to communicate directly with TM about getting their collective $h1t together.

Ok, but what you've stated was mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by testuser View Post
    The developer's tool kit searches files for exact string matches, so if you entered a space on accident or left out a _ it won't return what your looking for. Make sure to leave out ; as they're not everywhere an instance of that text would be.
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:24 AM.

Plugin Contributions

A lot of developers tools have what you said XSearch does. Like for instance, Dreamweaver allows you to search within your current site, a specific folder, etc ...

looks like you are talking about dreamweaver,
    no mention of this in ZC in your post at all,

but like I said this is way off topic for this post,

lets hangout and wait for fellis or TM to show up and say that they have a working template to test,
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:24 AM.

Plugin Contributions

It was mentioned in the previous post to the one I quoted. And I haven't seen fellis on in a couple of days (at least IM's).
    Last edited by Kim; 12 Aug 2007 at 04:23 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to find a text string

Off topic posts moved.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Template Monster: Public Service Announcement

As I mentioned earlier, I tried using the developer's tool kit, but it could not find the words i was looking for. As tester said, I may have typed the words wrong. On the other hand, I think the wording in the developer's toolkit is a bit obscure and overly technical for someone like me to understand. So I still prefer the Xsearch software.

I don't use any special Dreamweaver-type developer software either. I use a simple html editor called HTML-Kit to modify the php files. I have also read in these forums that other users are even using notepad. So we do not have access to the typical tools that you professional developers have....nor do we have the brainpower to figure them out! (Actually I do have the Dreamweaver software but never bothered to install it!)

Why am I babbling about this topic here? Because I really was near the point of trashing the Template Monster template that I paid for, until I learned how to find all the annoying hidden hardcodes using Xsearch. So it really was a good tool that "saved" the template for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast