Plugin Contributions

Default Subscription-Only Content?

Hi,

I am wondering if the following feature exists within Zen Cart, and would appreciate any pointers on existing contributions or mods. I am fairly PHP-literate but could not find anything on the forums - most likely, I am using the wrong search terms.

I want to set up a subscription (let's say $9.99/month, or $49.99/year). Once registered users have purchased the subscription, they can access subscription-only content on my site. Note the difference of accessing "registered customer only" content vs. "paid subscriber only" content.

I imagine that simply setting (and checking for) a cookie would not be enough, since subscribers should be able to access subscription-only content from any computer. Lastly, it would seem logical that subscribers access their content with their regular Zen Cart login information.

Thanks,

Uli

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Subscription-Only Content?

Quote Originally Posted by uiserloh View Post
    I want to set up a subscription (let's say $9.99/month, or $49.99/year). Once registered users have purchased the subscription, they can access subscription-only content on my site. Note the difference of accessing "registered customer only" content vs. "paid subscriber only" content.
    Zen Cart doesn't have built-in subscription support.

However, to build subscription support (and recurring billing, etc) is one thing. Restricting content to paid subscribers is yet another.

What format will the 'paid-subscribers-only' content be in ? Would it be on certain EZ-Pages? or certain products? or something else? What materials do you want to restrict ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

The subscriber-only content would be certain EZ-Pages, i.e. information about discount specials on other websites, or a subscriber-only newsletter.

One possible solution could be to have a virtual product that has a link to install a cookie (unique cookie?). Once the cookie is installed, one could introduce an if/else loop that checks if visitors are logged in and have the cookie installed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Uli

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Just make paid subscribers a member of a certain discount Group (see Customers menu in admin).
    Then in your EZ-pages code, check to see whether the logged-in customer is a member of any appropriate groups, and allow/disallow display based on the results.
    No cookies needed.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

A spin off on this, I wanted to do a subscription type thing where they could get so much product for free by purchasing a subscription each month. Does something like this exist?

Thanks