Plugin Contributions

Default How to load mysite.com

How do I keep a zencart install in the file I originally built it in but have it load when people come to the website.

I want to the install to be in mysite.com/battery/index.php

what do I need to do to get this to load when the hit mysite.com
    User of zencart

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to load mysite.com

If you want it to load when they go to mysite.com then you should install it in the main directory for mysite.com

When you upload it, upload to the public_html folder, or it may be the httpdocs folder.

in other words, don't put it in a subdirectory like
    mysite.com/battery/index.php

put it directly in mysite.com

Plugin Contributions

thank you,

i know how to build a zencart site but I want to include the keyword battery so putting the site in the folder battery and having the site run from there but load correctly when people simply type mysite.com.

i see it done all the time however i cant figure out how they do it. i guess i could simply do a redirect from the main site to mysite.com/battery.. Just thinking out load

batteries are what i sell so I want battery as a main key word in everything I sell, make sense? easiest way i could think of.
    User of zencart

Plugin Contributions

Somehow this does not make sense to me, I doubt it would do any good. But I'm not a SEO expert so I can't say anything.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

i know it doesnt make sense, i want it to make dollars.. lol

i know it sounds sill but thats why i am experimenting with it as a new site. I will only be putting a few products that do very well from my full blown website to see what the results are.

most things people do on the internet dont make sense but when they work then suddenly there excepted and something new has grown to be ok.

by the way I am pretty good on seo methods. i am trying a fresh site with the seo urls to see if they really hinder a site.
    User of zencart

Plugin Contributions

One idea is to have a blog on mysite.com, and your store in mysite.com/battery/ with a link and banners to bring the clients and search engine spiders to the

otherwise I feel that any benifit you would receive by having the store in the subdirectory will be taken away by the fact that you would have to redriect your visitors from the home page of the domain.

Other ideas would be to use robot.txt to direct the search engine spiders to the subdirectory.

Also submit the subdirectory to the search engines instead of the main directory.

Is this making sense?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by birdoasis View Post
    One idea is to have a blog on mysite.com, and your store in mysite.com/battery/ with a link and banners to bring the clients and search engine spiders to the

otherwise I feel that any benifit you would receive by having the store in the subdirectory will be taken away by the fact that you would have to redriect your visitors from the home page of the domain.

Other ideas would be to use robot.txt to direct the search engine spiders to the subdirectory.

Also submit the subdirectory to the search engines instead of the main directory.

Is this making sense?
    I will actually have a blog on the new site however i still have not gotten an answer. I just want to know how to do it. Do you configure the .htaccess file file to say check mysite.com/battery or is there some other way?
    User of zencart

Plugin Contributions

Birdoasis has given you the best answers. I would do both the robot.txt approach for search robots and .htaccess to redirect customers. (.htaccess wouldn't be needed if you install a blog as described on the web root.)

I have heard two different opinions about having keywords in the site path. Two arguments I have heard:

Pro: keywords in the path help in page rankings.
    Cons: Moving files down into the subdirectories result is lower page rankings.

I think it is a wash unless you can get a new domain of mysitebatteries.com or similar and put you index in the web root.

Ron
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a