Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Updating Language constants dynamically

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to set up a way of allowing the store user to dynamically update the contents of the language files dynamically?

For example ... I want to set up text boxes for some of the variables which are usually configured in the language files. I then want the store user/owner to be able to change the contents of these text boxes, press update and then the changes are updated in the .php files and therefore throughout the site. Is this possible and if so, can anyone give guidelines of how to go about to do this.

eg. I want the store manager to be able to update variables such as

define('DOWN_FOR_MAINTENANCE_TEXT_INFORMATION', 'The site is currently down for maintenance. Please excuse the dust, and try back later.');

so that he can then place a reason, notes or whatever. This is not the only define I want to use (just an example) as I may also create some others for various reasons.

Hope someone can help.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Updating Language constants dynamically

There is no built-in facility for doing that at the present time.

You'd need to write custom code for that.
    Keep in mind that empowering them to edit a .php file via the admin, and then just blindly writing that file back to the server isn't really any more effective than having them edit the file on their PC and upload via FTP, esp considering the fact that they can introduce PHP syntax errors just by adding a single-quote in their message, etc. It's about the same number of steps too.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I thought that I would prob have to write custom code, but it is this I need guidance with.

I intend to put in place a validation using javascript to make sure that any possible wrong characters cant be used and also I ill be advising the users of this.

I dont want to give them access to the actual files via ftp and I also think that they would edit the wrong files or upload them in the wrong places etc.

I know how to open and write to a file but what I am unsure of is how to search through the file for each define statement and return these, and change the appropriate ones where necessary.

As i said before,
    If you can help at all by even telling me which functions php has which may make this possible I should be able to work out the rest hopefully.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

file() will read in the contents of a file, line by line
    file_get_contents() will read in the entire file
    fopen(), fput(), fclose() will open, write, and close files, respectively
    Parsing will likely need to be done via regular expressions ... ereg(), etc

The secondary problem you'll have with this is security. In order to be able to write back to the files, they need to be world-writable, which leaves them open as prime targets for hackers.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for you help.

Good point on security.

I was looking through the php for the admin pages for the shop configuration, and they seem to be set up to modify the database directly.

Do you know if the values are usually taken from the database first and then placed into the files or are they never 'syncronised' and if not which values are taken as being the 'main' ones the database or the language files?

I think an alternative may then be to set up the new defines to be canged to be changed in the database directly, and should I require to add custom defines then I can just add rows to the database tables where necessary / create a new custom table.

what are your thoughts on this?

Plugin Contributions

As far as I remember, constants set in configuration table are available anywhere, so you should check on that (Dr Byte would know the exact answer for this). You can have all the constants stored in db, then load and define them before anything else.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Since you're going to need to rewrite file contents, start with the define-pages-editor as a base. The configuration tool is not a good model for reading the entire file.
    Enhance its file-reading facility by adding line-parsing to identify each define statement.
    Build input fields on the screen for each one
    Collect all the info.
    Validate the info, and write the defines back to the file.

If you want to rewrite the language infrastructure to use the database instead, keep in mind the need to support multiple languages and also to handle code upgrades. You'll still need to create a user interface to present and collect the information, then validate it and save it.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, I just want to clarify to make sure I understand correctly.

I should take a copy of the define-pages-editor page and alter this as a starting point and
    Then ammend it so that when it reads through the files it parses any instances of the define calls using parse function.
    For each instance of define() I should create an input field (to allow the editing)

When submit, collect any changes and validate them (ie so no php errors etc caused) and then re-write the file the define statement came from?

Is this what you are saying or have I missed the point somewhere?

Thanks for you responses and help!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Assuming you intend to proceed with editing language files and plan to deal with security concerns separately, then yes.

Plugin Contributions

If I want to do this without affecting security, is there a method of achieving this?

Can you clarify the difference between the language files and the database configuration table, in terms of which one over-rides the other? If I changed the values in the database - are they reflected through the site or are they over-ridden by the language files?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast