Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Performance issues (My Zen Cart is Slow)

Quote Originally Posted by jbaggs View Post
    I really think its an issue with the data in the MySQL database...
    It is not. Results You presented clearly shows that:
    Code:
    Parse Time: 6.420
    Number of Queries: 287
    Query Time: 0.17629118643189
    Most of time is spent in php, not in database. Check if high parse times are specific to Your template only, or to other templates as well. If only Your template behaves this way, You have to optimize it. If You get high page load times on default template as well, You'll have to optimize product_info page somehow.

Edit: After looking at Your site I think I know what can be a problem: "Customers who bought this product also purchased" box. Try to turn it of and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by data_digger View Post
    Edit: After looking at Your site I think I know what can be a problem: "Customers who bought this product also purchased" box. Try to turn it of and see what happens.
    Sorry, my mistake (it's getting late and I'm getting tired). 'Also purchased...' box should not be a problem in this case (it usually slows down sites with lots of sales/products because of query it executes, but query time is low in Your case).

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Performance issues (My Zen Cart is Slow)

Enable GZIP for faster page loads..

I would stay away from xampp, try the newest WAMP , working fine for me right now on a windows 2003 server.. I had major issues with the way XAMPP did stuff, lots of security stuff, and some extra junk.. wamp is pretty clean imho.

Also turn on the sql cache... You can do this with mySQL gui tools administrator.

MySQL Gui Tools Administrator > Startup Variables > Performance (tab) >

Put a check in the "Cache Size" 64M check box..

Save chages.. restart WAMP / mysql..

This is basically the same thing as editing one line of the my.ini file of mysql... you're just doing it through the GUI, I forget the offical ini text.. but oh well this does the same thing..

Finally, if you have more than 3000 images in any image directory in your store.. store/images/microsoft/3000+ jpegs , store/images/large/microsoft/3000+ large jpegs, etc...
    make sure to spread them out over multiple directories so that you have no more than 3000 in a single dir.. I have experienced major speed issues when I had over 10,000 in a directory, load times were over 15 seconds..

Plugin Contributions

I had the same kind of issues you are talking about there. Fortunately ( and unfortunately) it turned out to be user error.

Zen cart only has 1 image for each product, which it then can cut into thumbnails or the product page size, or normal or enlarged, depending on your layout.

When/if your images folder contains thousands of images, it takes zen cart longer to load any given product page. You can fix this by splitting your images folder into sub folders. (For example i do mine by manufacturer.)

From there i actually split them into more folders so that there are no more than 200 images in any given folder. If you start doing this you will notice improved load times just by messing with image locations.

The other factor is the internet connection that you have your website on. If you are using a T1 for example with only 1.5 mbps, then you are going to also need to keep your image files small in size.

Plugin Contributions

wow.. 200/ sub folder, ideally that would be best... right now I have a batch file that automatically sorts to sub folders a b c d e f ...
    I should make it more intricate like. ab ac ad ae af ag ah etc.. that might trim it down more.

something similar to this

after my automated photoshop watermark batch job completes I run a batch file to put the exported jpegs in smaller directories, I should break it down further by something like..
    Code:
    move ab*.jpg ./ab

then just cloak the .bat in dreamweaver so it doesn't get uploaded :)

I know that magento commerce does this automatically, but the way it mutilates the file names and how it doesn't like multiple pics / picture totally turns me off, besides the fact that magento never seems to work and freezes half the time in admin mode.
    Last edited by edwardtilbury; 15 Apr 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by thecoolstinger View Post
    When/if your images folder contains thousands of images, it takes zen cart longer to load any given product page. You can fix this by splitting your images folder into sub folders. (For example i do mine by manufacturer.)
    Wow. I never thought of this. I have been having performance issues for months. I can't tell you the countless nights [such as tonight] that I am up all night analyzing every single mod I have installed and what jscripts they use...and can't figure out what the problem is.

I have a TON of unused product images, or images from old products. Perhaps I will try to sort through them and see if it helps!

Plugin Contributions

Hello, about tons of images in one dir, you could try to use Image Handler. It creates all the images you need (in various format) and place them in many subcategories, avoiding this problem (I should check if the main image still being in one folder can cause some performance issue aswell).
    Paolo De Dionigi
    Co-maintainer of Zen Cart Italia

Plugin Contributions

Query Cache v1.0 is good at reducing parse times
    cache images in htaccess file is another good trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12