Plugin Contributions

help question Need additional style sheet for all categories

I'm using css positioning to create a layout for a customer. I've found that because of the need to use absolute postioning of the right hand column, when the view is changed my right column tends to have a mind of its own. I know that I can adjust that by creating additional stylesheets - but my questions is "naming conventions". If I wanted to create a style sheet that effected the view of any category listing page when clicked from the menu and only that page what is the proper naming convention to create a wildcard. In other words I don't want to create a style sheet for each category (that would be too crazy), but one style sheet for all.

I hope I haven't confused anyone. Example:

When clicking a category in the menu the URL produced for that page is:

/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=? The question mark of course would be "any" category ID. So I want to create a style sheet that no matter what Cat ID follows cPath= , those changes in the style sheet will be reflected.

Is this possible and if so can someone give me a clue?

Thanks in advance

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need additional style sheet for all categories

I've found that because of the need to use absolute postioning of the right hand column
    Provide a link to this as I do not understand this requirement
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

I've got a special layout that the client wanted that does not conform to the standard table layout. This is really early development - but you can reach the site by clicking here

I tried removing the absolute positioning and it actually helped, but I would still need to tweak the location a bit; however I end up suddenly with my footer in the middle of the page, so I had to put that setting back in.

Plugin Contributions

An added note - there are two test products in the first category, but you have to use the URL to return as I have the site hidden by a blank html file.

Plugin Contributions

You have tweaked and added items enough that with out knowing and seeing your intentions and file edits commenting is difficult.

In FF things are not defined and contained as normal
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

help question Re: Need additional style sheet for all categories

Cobra, I went away ripping this apart knowing that there is a better way to do what I'm trying to do. I've come up with some creative ideas but the right column is still my nemesis. Here's the link so you can "follow along" click here

Ok - I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do and what I've done thus far:

First of all the header is disabled. I could not do this with that in place.

The logo is in a box above the left col. and that worked great. I snugged up the main content to the top with css so that I could use the main_page define to place the flash image needed there; When selecting categories, that goes away and a new flash appears using the category description area. Whew got that to work.

On other pages I used the banner3 image for the flash and removed that code from the main. That was easy and worked perfect for my layout. (need to finish all the other templates on that yet)

Next I moved the breadcrumb under each of the flash images and to be above the product content -

I want to divide the center column into an approx. 60/30 split - Center content (60%) to the left of that and the right column content to the right (30%).

I can get this all to work on the main page, but the pesky column slips a bit on different pages. I'm having a nightmare thought of millions of style sheets just to fix that so right now, I'm thinking of turning off that column except on the home page, which is really not what I wanted.

I'm sure that my html is not correct. I've got an extra dangling </table> that for the life of me I can't figure out where it came from - there's only one table defined. But all blows up if I remove it.

Oh one last ugly I discovered which I know is connected to my bad code - the poor footer - it is not elastic - so on a long page it doesn't extend down. I've currently given it an extra 100px margin till I figure that out, but that won't work really, as when one goes to register its sitting in the middle of the form..

I've pulled this apart so many times that I think that I'm brain dead. I really didn't think this was going to be that hard when I started this project... but here I am and I want to get it straighten out.

I seem to have problems mixing tables and css layout - a real weakness of mine I must conquer -

If you have any suggestions I would be in your debt.

Plugin Contributions

I will begin by stating that for your horizontal layout that I would have retained the default 3 column layout and by adjusting the left & right coulmn widths acheive your horizontal percentages.

Mentally draw a line across from the top of the left word "Contents" to the right over the breadcrumb and these are closely at the same level - point being that the default has closely this same alignment - So all stuff below the head could have been done with standard cart setup.

Then you only need to attack the header section that is #headerWrapper and contains #logo, #logoWrapper, #tagline, #navMainWrapper, #navEZPagesTop and maybe a couple of others (I hope that I got the tags correct as this is from a failing memory)

For your head you could have floated the logoWrapper to the left and given it a width of about 30-35&#37;, maybe used the tagline to contain your flash and floated it right giving it the balance of the width

You have the word menu at the top but I do not see what it does?? and your customers will really need the functions provided in navMain to navigate the cart so I would suggest that this be there and at the top.

If you want to see something similar grab a download of clydes "Comstock" template where his head is different than most and you might be able to glean a bit of insight into how this was accomplished from the files

Not trying to downgrade what you have done but just maybe point out that there might have been an easier way to get much of this same look and stay within the defaut cart structure closer
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Unfortunately there is much of this that I don't think could be done with the default structure or I would have readily done it; however I will d/l that template and take a look at what he has done there and seriously look at your suggestions.

One last note - the "menu is a place holder - I will be floating that right and putting in the normal header style links - login, cart etc. That was so I wouldn't forget to come back to it.

Thank you so much for taking a look. I really appreciate it.