Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default suddenly my orders fail to post in orders admin (hosted on GoDaddy)

Running SC V1.3.9f
    As of approx June 11, 2011 my new customer orders no longer appear in customer/orders, nor is ZC sending me email notification of orders.

I am made aware of new orders as I'm getting payment notification emails from Pay Pal showing the purchase amount, and the items purchased.

ZC orders notification was working fine up to June 11, 2011: no changes or upgrades to ZC have been made. Nothing changed on my end.

Any idea why this would suddenly stop working correctly or how to troubleshoot and fix?

Thanks much.
    Addlink

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: suddenly my orders fail to post in orders admin

Odd indeed. Have you tried checking out with a fake order to see for yourself?

Can you provide a link?

Plugin Contributions

What paypal module are you using?

I know Dr Byte posted something about paypal IPN in the last month or so

Run through a bogus transaction,
    1) using paypal
    2) using a different payment method (this will allow you to be sure its a paypal issue)

Can you turn on error logging for paypal?
    Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Jackie, thanks for your response. Fake order placed, does not show, you asked for a link? To What?
    nigelt74, thanks for your response.
    To both of you, I have the Pay Pal IPN set correctly, having contacted Pay Pal support and gone through all settings. Pay Pal says its a Zen Cart Issue, not paypal.

I tend to think this has something to do with Admin in Zen Cart concerning STORE MANAGER. About the time this began happening I had rec'd a message in yellow upon logging into Zen Cart that the Empty Admin Activity Log table from the database
    and did so. This is all greek to me. I notice that the yellow notice went away. But, my product orders have dissappeared. There are a bunch of "reset" buttons in this area, one of them being, Reset ALL Products Ordered
    I have not hit any "reset" buttons.
    Any help on resolving this issue would be appreciated. I had been getting email notices from Zen Cart that an order had been placed, and the order showed up under "customer orders" and now they don't. Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Now I just rec'd a notice from a customer who ordered a download and can't download it after paying with Pay Pal.

Since orders are not posting in Store Admin, I cannot resend the download link.

I have no idea how to trouble shoot this.
    But I need to get my store back working.
    I have made no changes, other than in Store Admin clicking the yellow notice that the
    "The Admin Activity Log is a tracking method that records activity in the Admin. Due to its nature it can become very large, very fast and does need to be cleaned out from time to time."

I clicked this back in June to clean it out. Since then, all my orders no longer appear. Any suggestions on how to repair this?
    Thanks much.

Plugin Contributions

Honestly you will not find any solid answer here. Some people will tell you to only use PayPal Express Checkout which may fix your issue. But I don't see a reason why PayPal IPN is all bad now even though some of us have been using it for years.

I do have similar issue with PayPal IPN which start happening back in early May, My issue is one a customer order 2+ items and pay with PayPal they will not be recorded in Zen Cart. I did switch to PEC for few weeks but customer start calling and complaining about being sent back to Zen Cart after they login in to PayPal.

You can try to use PEC see if that fixes your problem.

It is clear (at least to me from other user complaints) that there are issues with PayPal/Zen Cart. I don't know who to blame for it but the issue is there as a lot of people have reported it.

Plugin Contributions

I'll jump in before the Dr lights his afterburner.
    What changes did your host make (if any) around the time this happened?
    Why not upgrade to the latest version as things have changed (could that be why there are newer versions)?
    What versions of PHP and MySql are being used?
    Why do people insist on using a BUGGY IPN that will (hopefully) be sent to the bit bucket by PayPal itself?
    I could go on, but I'll leave something for the Dr.

Plugin Contributions

People use IPN simply because they have multiple stores and they can't just keep opening bank accounts to accept PayPal. IPN will allow you to use one PayPal account for multiple stores. I have 10+ stores and don't wish to open 10 business accounts when some of these stores barely generate sales to justify opening new account for them so I still want to use IPN. I do use PEC on some of the larger stores but that still have issues.

I don't think PayPal will discontinue the IPN anytime soon, so instead of telling people to Change the method they accept payments maybe posting solutions would be better idea.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CoolCarPartsOnline View Post
    People use IPN simply because they have multiple stores and they can't just keep opening bank accounts to accept PayPal. IPN will allow you to use one PayPal account for multiple stores.
    CoolCarPartsOnline, I know you're passionately opposed to anything we have to say about PayPal. But that doesn't justify posting inaccurate information.
    Express Checkout provides all the SAME "features" you've enumerated. No extra bank accounts required. Good on multiple stores. Customers can easily pay without a PayPal account. etc etc etc.

IPN is just older architecture, and was designed by PayPal to be used with "PayPal buttons" which you place on static product pages on non-database-driven websites. It was never intended to be used on self-hosted dynamic webstores. And, it breaks badly if there's ANY glitch in communication between PayPal's server and *your* server when it's attempting to notify your store of a new order.
    EC, on the other hand, was written specifically to be used on self-hosted database-driven dynamic webstores such as the likes of Zen Cart. EC is NOT vulnerable to the breakdown of communications that IPN is prone to. That is why it is the recommended primary means of accepting Paypal on your site.
    If you don't like the "flow" of EC when activated from the Shopping Cart page, you can turn that button off so that the "experience" is just like the IPN flow. Customers won't know the difference.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by addlink View Post
    Running SC V1.3.9f
    As of approx June 11, 2011 my new customer orders no longer appear in customer/orders, nor is ZC sending me email notification of orders.

I am made aware of new orders as I'm getting payment notification emails from Pay Pal showing the purchase amount, and the items purchased.

ZC orders notification was working fine up to June 11, 2011: no changes or upgrades to ZC have been made. Nothing changed on my end.

Any idea why this would suddenly stop working correctly or how to troubleshoot and fix?

Thanks much.
    Addlink
    Your symptoms sound very much like you're using the PayPal Website Payments Standard module (also referred to historically as the "IPN module").
    As I explained in my prior post, that module is limited by PayPal's architectural design and prone to failure if there are communication problems between PayPal's server and *your* server. It can also easily break if you add an addon to your site which changes how orders or checkout work.

Also, earlier this month PayPal implemented a change to their datacenter and added extra servers that handle IPN responses. They spent 4 months notifying all their customers of those upcoming changes, and we posted notices here on the Zen Cart forum about those changes too. If your hosting company has a very restrictive firewall configuration that prevents incoming traffic from PayPal's new server IP addresses, then it's possible that might be related to your problem. See the link contained in the article found at the link in the next paragraph for specifics of PayPal IP addresses.

Further, if you need to troubleshoot your PayPal configuration and/or the communications between PayPal's server and *your* server, there is a very detailed list of things to check at http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/PayPal

Your PayPal debug logs will be useful in diagnosing what exactly is going on with your Website Payments Standard transactions.

But it will be MUCH simpler and way less technically complicated if you just upgrade to the latest version of Zen Cart and switch to PayPal Express Checkout instead.

There shouldn't be ANY connection between clearing the Admin Activity Log and sudden problems with PayPal payments. They're completely unrelated things.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast