Plugin Contributions

Default How does it work

Hi
    This question must have been asked before now but, if it has, I cannot find the reference.

How does Zen Cart work? What I mean by that is how are the various code modules such has HEADER.PHP called and in what order - the reason for this question is that I am new to Zen Cart but would like to start customising my own site - I have a lot of experience in Applications programming (18 years) but I would rather not waste time in trying to document the whole of Zen Cart. So if anyone has any links to relevant flowcharts, procedural diagrams or documentation, it would be great if you could let me know - if the Zen guys are reading this and I have to pay for such documentation, please let me know how much.

Cheers
    Melkor

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How does it work

There is a lot of detailed information in the wiki (link in the blue bar above).

You don't need to start customizing by adding/altering the file flow on your own - most design work can be done by editing tpl_xxx files and some related ones and saving in your custom template directory. See template creation articles/threads in the FAQ/tutorials and in the forum.

If you want to significantly alter the function, you may be getting into real new programming, for which you can find info in the wiki. Also search here for specifics, as much has already been posted.

Plugin Contributions

Get the book ^^^ - link above.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Hi

Thanks for the responses, unfortunately Kim the book does not explain anything from a coding how-it-all-works point of view but the response was appreciated anyway.

Regards

Melkor