Plugin Contributions

Default Can a discount be taken off the RETAIL price and not the Sale Price?

Hey guys,

Here's a general configuration question. Let's say that you have an item in your store that's $30.00, but you have a year-round sale on it for $27.00.

Now, normally, we offer a coupon code to our returning customers which takes an ADDITIONAL 10% off the sale price, so it would be $27.00 - 10%.

Well, is there a way to modify a coupon to take the X% off the RETAIL price, ignoring any sale or special price that is currently active? So that if you use the coupon, it would be X% off the $30.00 instead of the $27 sale price?

The reason why I can't just modify our regular 10% off coupon is because not all items are discounted the same on sale. So lets say that MOST of our items in our store are on sale for 3% off retail. I could create a discount coupon that gives 17% off to equal 20% off the price....except for the fact that all my items are NOT 3% off. Some are like 15% off. So if someone used that same coupon on that item, they would be getting 17% + 15% = 33% off, and we can't have that happen.

The only way around it was to see if there was any configuration for a coupon which would only look at the regular price to adjust the discount.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help.
    - Jeff

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can a discount be taken off the RETAIL price and not the Sale Price?

** Bump **

Just wanted to see if this slipped through the cracks, or if there is simply no way to accomplish this.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can a discount be taken off the RETAIL price and not the Sale Price?

Perhaps the better option would be to exclude those items that are heavily discounted from your coupons?

As a consumer I would not be a happy camper to find out that item A was discounted off the "sale" price but, item B was off the "retail" - not to mention how complicated that would be to keep track of.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I agree. If I saw something on a website that was on sale for $27 (down from the original $30) and I had a coupon for an additional 10% off, I'd be less than happy (understatement) to find that it was still $27 with my coupon instead of $24.30.

Your calculation of the percentages is off. Percentages don't add up like that when you're doing discounts.

Take the same $30 item. At 20% off, it would be $24.

If the item is on sale for 3% off and you issue a coupon for 17% off, the customer won't get 20% off. It'll be close, but it won't be 20%.
    $30 - 3% = $29.10
    $29.10 - 17% = $24.15
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Hi

How can I change the price from <font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="2"><strike>$78</strike></font>[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] to Was $78 Now $48. Which file should I look for. Please help.

Thank!
    Last edited by yenmax; 28 Apr 2008 at 04:21 AM.