Plugin Contributions

Default 500 Internal Server Error

I have uploaded the install files by FileZilla into a "catalog" directory. The files, the directory are owned by me. Permissions should allow my access to the store.

I can go into the admin area and I am doing the work to set up that, but I want to see my store.

Here is the page I get. The title of the page is "500 Internal Server Error"
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I have installed three time and still get the same issues. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 500 Internal Server Error

Make sure that if your host is using php as cgi that your files and folders are set to higher than 755

for the most part folders to 755 files to 644
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

I had checked all the directory permissions and most of the files. I had made the two configure.php files not-writable. In my inspection I found that the index.php file was not executable and so I added executable permissions to it and it works fine now, so far.

Thank you for that heads up.

Dean

Plugin Contributions

getting the 500 internal server error on a new Linux install that will only go away by removing the .htaccess file. The .htaccess file contains
    Code:
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
    in order to go from the 4.4.4 to 5.2. Works fine with other sites but just this one requires the removal in order to run.

Apache 1.3.37
    PHP 4.4.4
    MySQL 4.1.22
    PHP API Mode chi

?!?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbltoe View Post
    getting the 500 internal server error on a new Linux install that will only go away by removing the .htaccess file. The .htaccess file contains
    Code:
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
    in order to go from the 4.4.4 to 5.2. Works fine with other sites but just this one requires the removal in order to run.

Apache 1.3.37
    PHP 4.4.4
    MySQL 4.1.22
    PHP API Mode chi
    If you get a 500 Internal server error as a result of adding/changing anything in a .htaccess file, it means that what you added/changed is disallowed or its syntax is incorrect. Sometimes certain directives are disallowed by the server's configuration.
    Thus, you'll need to talk to your host about "why".
    You might find more explanation in your server's errorlog.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Nothing in the error log and, so far, looking in the mirror has only succeeded in reminding me how old I'm getting and how much different hosting is than sysadmin.

This is a standard, one-line .htaccess that is required to take the 4.4.4 to 5.2 and is working just fine with four other fantistico installs on the same box.

It can't be used with older Zen versions AND the site will work without it. Just another humbling experience with the computer.

I've checked for odd characters/spaces in the .htaccess and compared one site's files to another. Still no joy.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Are there any strange invisible characters in the file, which apache might be croaking on?
    Does the file have odd permissions that might be blocking apache?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

tried setting to everything from 444 to 777 and looked at the file with four different editors to see if there was any difference.

What's frustrating is that it is one that I created specifically for the server. It's kept in its special place till needed and FTP'd to 1.3.7.1 sites.

I've pulled down copies from other sites and dropped it into this site. Still no joy.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Then ... I'd suggest talking to your hosting company.