Plugin Contributions

Default Downloadable Products and Upgrades

In the attributes controller, you can specify how many times a product can be downloaded. Do that also include when the download file is changed?

For example, let's say I have file_v1.00.zip. If I then change it to file_v1.01.zip, will customers who bought v1.00 be able to also download v1.01.zip if the number of downloads is above 1? I'd like to allow customers to download upgrades so that I do not have to email the updated files to customers and keep track of who has bought a product.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadable Products and Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by numinix View Post
    In the attributes controller, you can specify how many times a product can be downloaded. Do that also include when the download file is changed?

For example, let's say I have file_v1.00.zip. If I then change it to file_v1.01.zip, will customers who bought v1.00 be able to also download v1.01.zip if the number of downloads is above 1? I'd like to allow customers to download upgrades so that I do not have to email the updated files to customers and keep track of who has bought a product.
    No, that is not a built-in feature at the present time.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

So if I change the file that is linked to a product, they will not be able to download?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you change the file linked to a product, then all subsequent downloads made by existing or future customers purchasing those products will get the new file.

CORRECTION TO ABOVE STATEMENT: Changing the filename linked to a product affects only new orders placed against said filename. The filename itself is stored in the order details, thus forcing them to always get only the original file content unless you change the content of the file stored by the original filename.

Changing the file will not send any notifications to the customers.

The link in their order page in My Account history will point to whatever file you have attached at the time when the customer clicks on the download link.
    If the customer's download count/time has expired, they will still not be able to download unless you reset the count/time limit for their order.
    Last edited by DrByte; 12 Nov 2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: correction

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Great, that would work perfectly. I want anyone who has previously purchased the download to be able to login and download any future releases which will use the same product_id. Customers are notified by RSS of updates to the product.

This will save me a lot of effort of having to maintain a mailing list and manually email each customer the updated files.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, will setting the Max Download Count to 0 allow unlimited downloads? Or, should I just set it to a very high number like 999?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

maxdays = 0 means no time limit
    count must be a non-zero number. 0 does not mean unlimited.

Plugin Contributions

I just noticed that the download link sticks with the original filename, so that means if I want to provide upgrades, I need to always use the same filename in order for customers to be able to download updates.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Hmmm ... yes, you're correct. It does store the actual filename in the order details.

Plugin Contributions

This is a plus and minus ...

On the plus side, Fred ordered Product 25 that gives mydownload_v1.zip ... but a month later Bob orders Product 25 and gets mydownload_v2.zip ... Fred is not entitled to the upgrade ... but Fred can still download the filename that he ordered and so can Bob ...

For products where there are upgrades and the customer gets unlimited, you can always update the orders_products_downloads field orders_products_filename with the new filename, if this is how you need the downloads to work ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!