Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Where do I find proper files where constants are defined?

Such as ACCOUNT_DOB?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Where do I find proper files where constants are defined?

Some are defined in the database. A fast way to find them is to use the first input field on the Developers Toolkit page: Admin->Tools->Developers Toolkit.

Or, you could look up constants or other text via other fields using the same tool. The various input boxes are used to search various selective areas. The last one searches the whole site's files.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=39
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=38

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Documentation sadly lacking

I have several times had the same question.

So why is it that the Wiki doesn't contain this essential information? I have been trying to locate an Admin setting for SHOW_FOOTER_IP without much luck. It's defined in 'tpl_footer.php' but I can't find it using the Dev Toolkit search, no definition in the Wiki and nowhere in the ZenSupport area. The forums hit it, but mostly just as quotes.

What we all need is something that defines all these constants and locates them in the standard ZenCart files:

E.g.
    SHOW_FOOTER_IP - Set in Admin/Customer, this option lets you choose whether to display a customer's IP address on every page as they browse the site.

Default files where it occurs:
    admin/customer.php
    includes/templates/template_default/common/tpl_footer.php

The ZenCart documentation really needs a major overhaul. This should be considered a complete project for a future release.
    --Tim

Plugin Contributions

Default BTW re SHOW_FOOTER_IP

I did finally find the setting for this using Dev Kit search (in search CONSTANT definitions using ALL language files).

It is in Admin/Layout Settings.

(The Admin panels could use a serious overhaul/reorganization as well.)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Documentation sadly lacking

Quote Originally Posted by senortim View Post
    I have several times had the same question.

So why is it that the Wiki doesn't contain this essential information? I have been trying to locate an Admin setting for SHOW_FOOTER_IP without much luck. It's defined in 'tpl_footer.php' but I can't find it using the Dev Toolkit search, no definition in the Wiki and nowhere in the ZenSupport area. The forums hit it, but mostly just as quotes.

What we all need is something that defines all these constants and locates them in the standard ZenCart files:

E.g.
    SHOW_FOOTER_IP - Set in Admin/Customer, this option lets you choose whether to display a customer's IP address on every page as they browse the site.

Default files where it occurs:
    admin/customer.php
    includes/templates/template_default/common/tpl_footer.php

The ZenCart documentation really needs a major overhaul. This should be considered a complete project for a future release.
    --Tim
    In the admin under configuration->layout settings, look for "Footer - Show IP Address status" near the bottom of the list.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Mary Ellen.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Documentation sadly lacking

Quote Originally Posted by senortim View Post
    --Tim
    Does this mean you're volunteering?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, I'd love to and I've thought of offering, but there are two problems. First, I'm having a baby in the next month or so. Second, I find ZenCart so confusing that I'd really need a knowledgeable guide to help me know where to start.

For example, what I really wanted at first was a sense of how all the ZenCart files go together. However, I now think that it might be more important to know where various pieces fit visually. Especially for those who want to customize ZenCart's appearance (as I do.)

And it would be useful to have some of the documentation echoed in the source files themselves -- such as showing the user what the text output of a PHP script might be within that snippet of php code (e.g., a module). This might take a lot of the mystery out of it.

Anyway, if you weren't being entirely flip, let's talk.

--Tim

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by senortim
    For example, what I really wanted at first was a sense of how all the ZenCart files go together.
    You might find these handy:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=378
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=298

... as well as the various tutorials in the FAQ area:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. Those files were helpful. Fortunately (???) I've spent a lot of hours already trying to understand the baroque structure of the overrides folders and the page construction code, so they clarify things a bit for me.

Still, I don't understand what seems to me the inverted logic of the overrides system. I can see the the division of language files from other template files, since one might wish to localize for several languages. But why not have 'your_template' as a single folder at the top level with sub folders for the various goodies? And why are modules not part of templates? I'm certainly treating them that way as I customize my design, I just have to look in places that assume I have a firm grip already of ZenCart's structure (which most newbies or non-programmers will not.)

I'm not naive: I'm sure there are well-considered reasons that ZenCart is the way it is. However, it strikes me that these reasons likely have more to do with how ZenCart is programmed than with considerations for ease of use or excellence in store design in mind.

Further, it strikes me that the complexity of ZenCart is one of the reasons that custom designs are not that interesting or varied. (Obviously the three column structure is another major factor.)

Cheers,
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast