Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Free Shipping w/ Options ONLY on Free Ship Items?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've been searching the forums over two hours, and can't figure out how to do this:

I have certain items for which I want to offer free ground shipping. However, the customers may want to expedite the order, so I want to also give them the option to select other shipping methods, even when the item is tagged as free shipping.

Right now, whenever I am able to get free shipping to show with other shipping methods together, it always applies to ALL items. I want to show the free shipping + non-free options together ONLY for items marked free shipping. For items not marked free shipping, I want to show only non-free methods.

Thanks for your help.
    -Sam

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free Shipping w/ Options ONLY on Free Ship Items?

How are you flagging the Products for the Free Shipping?

What other shipping method(s) are you using?
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    How are you flagging the Products for the Free Shipping?

What other shipping method(s) are you using?
    I have "Yes, Always Free Shipping " checked in the product description.

The only other shipping method is UPS.

Plugin Contributions

Does this mean ALL products have weight EXCEPT the Product for Always Free Shipping?

If so, UNMARK Always Free Shipping and set to:
    No, Normal Shipping Rules

Set the products_weight on this Product to 0 ...

Set in the Configuration ... Shipping/Packaging ... to 0 for NO:
    Order Free Shipping 0 Weight Status
    If there is no weight to the order, does the order have Free Shipping?
    0= no
    1= yes

Note: When using Free Shipping, Enable the Free Shipping Module this will only show when shipping is free.
    Maker sure the Free Shipping Options freeoptions is Installed ...

Set the weight to <= .1 ...

What this will do is on Orders with many products plus this one it will not add to the UPS shipping charges ...

When Ordered alone, the 0 weight Products will allow Free Shipping AND allow for minimal charges on UPS ... minimal charges based on the .1 weight on the Product ...

Would that work for you?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Oba-san,

Thanks so much for your reply. The solution you proposed above will not work the way I would like. The problem I am trying to address is that we use UPS ground for free shipping, but some customers will want to expedite the order, and select faster shipping... in this case, we want to just charge the normal shipping fees.

Perhaps some examples would help:

1) Customer orders only 3.5lb item that has free shipping.

I would like to show Free Shipping + all the relevant UPS shipping options calculated based on the real weight of 3.5lbs.
    Right now, it only shows Free Shipping, and doesn't offer UPS.

2) Customer orders a 3.5lb free shipping item + another item that weighs 4lbs and does not have free shipping.

In this case, the customer should not see the option for free shipping, since his order contains an item that is not free shipping. He should see only UPS shipping options, but calculated based on 7.5lbs.

Why do I want to base it on the total weight instead of just 4lbs? Because if he selects UPS Overnight, then the free shipping will not apply.

Optimally, it would calculate based on only 4lbs if the user selects UPS Ground, since that's the shipping method we use for free shipping, but I realize that this scenario would be messy to implement.

Plugin Contributions

I have a feeling you are going to need some customization to the shipping module(s) to manage this for you ...

Zen Cart is written in php and very flexible ... you just have to get the code written correctly to meet the quirks of your site for features not already built into Zen Cart ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Hi lincomatic,

I know exactly what yuour looking for. A simple Free UPS ground shipping offer. This is an easy function to implement with "paid" carts, but with zen cart its a little different.

Besides customization to your shipping module, the only way arround it is to create a coupon code for the amount the "free Ground shipping" would be.

This way customers will get Free Ground shipping and discounted expedited options with orders over a certain amount. (if they enter the coupon code during checkout)

Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

You could also use the built in Free Shipping Options freeoptions to have Free Shipping at the same time as other shipping methods ...
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    You could also use the built in Free Shipping Options freeoptions to have Free Shipping at the same time as other shipping methods ...
    If that can be done on a per-item basis, then it's ideal.
    So far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it w/o having it apply to everything.

TIA,
    Sam

Plugin Contributions

We also need solution how to show other shipping options while the product being marked as 'Always free Shipping'

If someone can guide me where to start modifying the code would be so great, I know a little bit of PHP, but I just couldn't find where to start.

By the way 'freeshipping options' doesn't works for us because only certain products needed free shipping (regardless weight and value).

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast