Plugin Contributions

help question Registration (Create Account) Levels

Hi

I have spend hours on these forums to try and get an answer but to no avail. So, please excuse me if someting like this has already been addressed...

My client is a corporate seedmarketing company. They want people to register for accounts on different levels purely for the purpose of sending them newsletters, emails and product notifications. The functionality, therefor, will not need to be linked to the Group Discounts section as the site administrators will still add certain clients to certaiin discount categories.

So, when a person signs in for the first time, he/she should be able to select from a dropdown box a category like, for instance:

- Individual
    - Employee
    - Seed Producer
    - Farmer
    - Wholesaler
    - etc.

If that person is a farmer and registered as such, he/she will then automatically receive all newsletters, emails and product notifications intended for farmers only. Obviously the same with the other categories.

They say writers block is terrible - it can't be as bad as this current state I am in as, for the life of me, I just can not get an answer. Surely it must be simple!

I have no skin left on my forehead. Please help!?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Registration (Create Account) Levels

You could probably adapt the "how did you hear about us" contribution for this sort of purpose ... just use the categories you mentioned as the referral sources they can select from.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte

Thank you very much for your time and leading me in the direction of the "how did you hear about us" contribution. Much appreciated and it seems like the way to go in solving my problem. I am, however, duplicating the complete contribution instead of just hacking it for my purpose. Reason for that is that I see a lot of advantages in the original contribution as well - especially for marketing purposes.

If I may add something here. Without critisizing Zen-Cart at all (mainly as it is an awesome product as is) I do feel that more flexibility in terms of the "create account" page would go a long way in placing more emphasis on the Marketing function of the specific business using Zen-Cart as opposed to the current emphasis on the operational aspects - which is obviously also necessary.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the feedback. There are lots of changes on the list of things "to do" yet.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.