Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Define Pages Generator - Support

I just realized that maybe I'm not being clear about this. I know that the filenames will be different depending on what name you select when you first use the program. I guess what I really need is the path to the filename ie:

includes/extra_datafiles/my_filename.php

or something like that. Is that making more sense now? Hope so. As always thanks for any help.

Plugin Contributions

The (basic) rule is that if your file name is "bAdLy-nameD page" then you capitalise it: "BADLY-NAMED PAGE" and replace non-alphanumeric characters with "_": "BADLY_NAMED_PAGE", then prefix it with the word "FILENAME": "FILENAME_BADLY_NAMED_PAGE"

The next version which i am just putting the finishing tuoches to makes this clear.

The basic trick when dealing with any php website is if you want to edit a bit of generated code:
    1) find the id of the closest tag with an id to the bit of code that you want to edit.
    2) Search through the entire source code for this string (most text editors and dreamweaver can do this) hopefully the place you find this string will be near to the code you want to modify.

In your case try searching for "navMain" ;)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by banswidthjunkie View Post
    The (basic) rule is that if your file name is "bAdLy-nameD page" then you capitalise it: "BADLY-NAMED PAGE" and replace non-alphanumeric characters with "_": "BADLY_NAMED_PAGE", then prefix it with the word "FILENAME": "FILENAME_BADLY_NAMED_PAGE"

The next version which i am just putting the finishing tuoches to makes this clear.

The basic trick when dealing with any php website is if you want to edit a bit of generated code:
    1) find the id of the closest tag with an id to the bit of code that you want to edit.
    2) Search through the entire source code for this string (most text editors and dreamweaver can do this) hopefully the place you find this string will be near to the code you want to modify.

In your case try searching for "navMain" ;)
    I'm getting closer to understanding this I was able to find the filename with the navMain ID in it. There is some logic there to check and see if the person is logged in or not and what to put on the nav page for either condition.

That leaves me with just one more file to find and edit. What is the path to the filename where I put this in?
    $link_to_my_page = zen_href_link( FILENAME_MY_PAGE, '' );

If I know that, I think I can get everything to work. Thanks again for your patience with me on this.

Plugin Contributions

basically that depends where you want the link to go exactly, if you want it in the bar at the top of the page, then you probably want to put it in the file you found, if not it might be another file.

You sort of have to follow your nose with this stuff.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by banswidthjunkie View Post
    basically that depends where you want the link to go exactly, if you want it in the bar at the top of the page, then you probably want to put it in the file you found, if not it might be another file.

You sort of have to follow your nose with this stuff.
    Sorry bwj... I'm just not getting it lol... guess I will wait until you come out with the new version and see if I can understand that one better. I don't want to wear out my welcome where your help is concerned. Thanks a bunch for your help. I DO appreciate it. Maybe after the new version comes out I can bug you some more j/k... Thanks and have a great holiday season!!!

Plugin Contributions

crabdance, a "page" of ZC contains many files in many folders:
    + The language file in language folder usually define header, title, etc.
    + The modules/pages/header_php.php contains all the functions or any code needed to be run before loading the template.
    + and the template file.

Basically, when you want to create a page in zencart, which you can access using the link index.php?main_page=page_name, you have to create all those files. This mod simply helps you to create that set of file much faster, and that's it. Even with the new version of this mod or not, this is how things are done on ZC, not because the author of the mod wants to make it that way.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    crabdance, a "page" of ZC contains many files in many folders:
    + The language file in language folder usually define header, title, etc.
    + The modules/pages/header_php.php contains all the functions or any code needed to be run before loading the template.
    + and the template file.

Basically, when you want to create a page in zencart, which you can access using the link index.php?main_page=page_name, you have to create all those files. This mod simply helps you to create that set of file much faster, and that's it. Even with the new version of this mod or not, this is how things are done on ZC, not because the author of the mod wants to make it that way.
    Thanks for letting me know all of this, Yellow. I'm still learning how ZC is put together and what you have just said helps me a lot. I hope that I haven't sounded like I was getting down on the author of the mod. I certainly don't want to do that. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how all this works. BWJ has done a great job with the mod and I don't want to take anything away from him for sure.

The only reason I was "giving up" was that I thought I was making an *ss out of myself for asking so many questions. I thought that maybe I was making too much of this and not getting it straight. I appreciate your help and BWJ's help. You have both helped me to understand some things that would have taken me a while to get.

A big thank you to both of you... you both have been great trying to help me out! I will take the information that you gave me and see if I can try to get it working again.

Plugin Contributions

I suppose it it sort of like speaking japanese: if you speak it, it is the most natural thing in the world, if not it sounds like someone repeatedlay saying "desu" very quickly.

There is not much either Yellow or I can say to solve this, it is just a matter of hitting your head against a brick wall until nihongo wo hanashimasu (you can speak japanese). I find drinking lots of Stella helps :)

Plugin Contributions

You are welcome. It took me a while to get a hold of ZC as well.

BTW, I made a typo in the post above, should be:
    includes/modules/pages/page_name/header_php.php
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

@crabdance <- don't feel like you are being an *ss for asking questions, none of my friends can program and when I try to explain it to them they don't understand. I wouldn't even like to think about how long I have spent learning programing languages. I spent a solid year learning virtually every nuance of C++ on government money and since then I can pick up a new language pretty quickly (although I still get very frustrated with CSS). Programing is hard, my philosphy is that anyone who is willing to give it a go deserves a little patience.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast