Plugin Contributions

help question Fresh 1.3.8 Install vs upgrading? How do I keep my old data?

Hi,

I am thinking about doing a fresh install of 1.3.8 instead of upgrading, and want to know if the new updated platform communicates with the database in the same way as the old 1.3.7 did. So that after uploading the fresh 1.3.8 file set, if during the install, I link to my old database from the 1.3.7 file set that I was previously using, will everything work ok, because the database is being communicated with in the same way? Or, does the install process of the 1.3.8 file set over-write or format (so to speak) the database with a new ("1.3.8 file set") layout or structure, rendering the contents of the database (all the products I have entered) corrupt?

As a side note: where is the database stored and how does one copy it? Is it a file that can be accessed and copied like any other file, or does "copying" the database really mean making a backup of database A from the cPanel (or site admin database backup mod?) then making a new database B and then restoring the backup of the old database A to the new database B via the cPanel? Thank you very much for any help on this matter. Mark.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Fresh 1.3.8 Install vs upgrading? How do I keep my old data?

I am doing the same....a fresh install. The upgrading and comparing files and merging files and such is far too confusing. However, i am stalled....tomorrow is another day :)

Plugin Contributions

You both had the same question I had. I started a fresh install on a new host and was going to rebuild the store from the ground up. I believe that reinventing the entire wheel is not necessary. I would think that you can still compare files (I didn't use the override system and I think that means U need to go file by file—which sounds like more work than just recreating the site.) I'm about to download winMerge if it's Mac compatible.

Help!
    Does any one have a method of attack? Or know a systematic way to merge the updated files?

Thank you!

Phil

Plugin Contributions

I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I'll be watching this thread along with you to see what answers (hopefully) come up!

Plugin Contributions

First, make a backup of your data. There are instructions in this tutorial.

If you followed the override system, upgrading your site is a matter of comparing the files you changed with the same files from the newest version of Zen Cart.

If you want to set up a second store as a test site, you'll need to create a second database for it. Install Zen Cart in its own folder and then copy the database backup into the new database. When that's complete, rerun the zc_install to upgrade the database. After that, you should have all your customers, products and other assorted data available to you. You can then start comparing and copying your template files over.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    First, make a backup of your data. There are instructions in this tutorial.

If you followed the override system, upgrading your site is a matter of comparing the files you changed with the same files from the newest version of Zen Cart.

If you want to set up a second store as a test site, you'll need to create a second database for it. Install Zen Cart in its own folder and then copy the database backup into the new database. When that's complete, rerun the zc_install to upgrade the database. After that, you should have all your customers, products and other assorted data available to you. You can then start comparing and copying your template files over.

This all sounds so simple, please bear with me am a little slow in understanding linear stuff ... diagrams are better.

When you said "to set up a 2nd store as a test site, you'll need to create a 2nd database for it. Why is this?

I'm not certain how to do this "install Zen Cart in it's own folder" ... when I open up my FTP program I see the following files

access-logs
    etc
    fantastico_backups
    logs
    mail
    public_ftp
    public_html
    mydata_zc1.sql
    tmp

In which folder do I open up and place Zen Cart in it's own folder and what do I name it? Or do I create a new folder which contains the public_html info?

Beth-Katherine

Plugin Contributions

LOL! There are a LOT of us beginners out here that need better directions! When we're pointed to the '3 easy steps to upgrade' we hope there's a link to an english layman's version. So much of this is written for people that are familiar with this program or others like it. When we see simple words like 'install' or 'create'... we're all thinking "how do I do that". While most of it really is simple it's nerve racking because we just don't understand it and are so afraid of messing something up. I applaud the moderators and others who have the patience to walk us through this! We appreciate all the "help for idiots". I'll be watching this thread also!
    Linda in Ohio
    Sometimes what is so obvious to others.... is simply oblivious to the rest of us!

Plugin Contributions

Unless you've got a basic understanding of how computers work and what terms like "files", "folders", "install" and "create" refer to, it's going to be tough going for you.

First of all, DON'T use Fantastico to install Zen Cart. That may be the "simple" way, but you'll have NO clue what's going on. Plus, Fantastico rarely has the latest version. There's a link at the top of the page to get the download for yourself. Once you download the latest version, you need to do two things: 1) unzip it on your computer (double click on the zip file and you should be prompted for the rest) 2) upload the folders and files to your website. To upload you'll need an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client. FileZilla and SmartFTP are good free ones you can download from the net.

The reason you need to create a separate database if you're upgrading is so you don't interfere with your live shop. If you use the same database, you might as well directly upgrade the live shop and take your chances.

Before installing Zen Cart, create a database for it. You can do that using your webmaster panel. Remember the name assigned to the database and note if it has a prefix. If you name the database "zen" and the process says it's called "mydomain_zen", "mydomain" is the prefix. Once the database is created, you'll need to assign an ID and password to it. Make note of that information as well since zc_install will ask for it.

To install Zen Cart in its own folder, connect to your site with your FTP client and open the public_html folder. That's your root directory. There should be an icon on your FTP screen to create a folder. I can't tell you what it is because I don't know what FTP client you're using. Use that icon to create a folder and name it whatever you like (store, zen_cart, fred). Click on the new folder to open it and upload the Zen Cart folders and files into it.

Once that's complete, open your browser and go to http://www.mydomain.com/fred/zc_install/ and follow the prompts.

If you want to install Zen Cart in the root directory, skip the step that creates the folder. All the other information applies.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I'm going around in circles with this...it's driving me nuts
    Last edited by khopek; 20 Feb 2008 at 08:18 PM.