Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Installing ZenCart with existing website?

I have an existing website on the domain root, and when I tried to install ZenCart through my web hosting (Lunarpages) I was told I can't because of exisiting directory. I still need the website to be up and running while I try to figure out ZenCart (since I have no idea how ZenCart will look and how I can customize it to fit my needs) before I fully switch from plain HTML to ZenCart. My question is....

1) Is there a way I can install ZenCart in a different directory and try to figure it out there, and when I'm done to transfer the entire site from the testing directory to the domain root?

2) If not, what can I do aside from shutting down the website?

Thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing ZenCart with existing website?

You sure can, you can install it on a subfolder of your current site.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    You sure can, you can install it on a subfolder of your current site.
    But when I'm done with the store in the subfolder, can I move it to my root domain? Or do I have to basically do everything over? >< Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

You can, you will just have to make changes to 2 configuration files, but that will be an easy job.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    You can, you will just have to make changes to 2 configuration files, but that will be an easy job.
    Oh! Really? Awesome! Can you tell me which 2 config files and I'll copy it down? That way I can get on upgrading my site as soon as I can!

Also.... should I get the eBook of Zen Cart or I can hopefully figure out everything by myself? >< I've never installed an e-Commerce program myself and this will be my first try....

Plugin Contributions

includes/configure.php
    and admin/includes/configure.php

you will need to copy all files and folders under the subfolder you install ZC to the root folder, then make changes to the 2 files(to reflect the new link).

Plugin Contributions

And which part of these 2 files will I have to change? (I'm so sorry I'm an idiot ><)

Also, is it possible for me to add pure HTML pages with a link in the menu in ZenCart? (I know when I tried to do it on osCommerce that a friend set up for me it screwed up big time). Or even a FLASH page? How would I go about doing that if that's possible? Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

I had the exact same question - I was planning to take a different route - I have a site with info pages and general items about my business - I have several domains pointing to it. I was going to Install Zen in a subdirectory of the main domain and link from my web site to zen in the subfolder. My regular site would always be active and I could switch Zen to maintenance whenever I needed to ( I have no ideal what one actually does to make this switch. Any how I think this might work without having to do the edits for switching zen back and forth. I may be full of hot air on this but seems like a good plan.

Plugin Contributions

The only "problem" is if a customer goes back and forth between your Zen Cart and the rest of the site, the session ID will be lost along with any items in the customer's cart. You might find it easier at some point to combine everything into Zen Cart.

Taking Zen Cart down for maintenance is simply a matter of changing the setting in the admin under configuration->website maintenance.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Iseulde View Post
    And which part of these 2 files will I have to change? (I'm so sorry I'm an idiot ><)

Also, is it possible for me to add pure HTML pages with a link in the menu in ZenCart? (I know when I tried to do it on osCommerce that a friend set up for me it screwed up big time). Or even a FLASH page? How would I go about doing that if that's possible? Thanks!
    If Zen Cart is installed in its own folder, you need to change references to "/" to "/myzenfolder/".

You can probably use EZ-Pages to add the pages you want. To see them in action, look at the Fan Odyssey site in my sig and look for "Past Events".
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast