Plugin Contributions

Default New install no includes/dist-config or admin/dist-config files?

I am new to Zen cart, just ftp'd all the files to my server (godaddy), reading instructions tells me to change includes/dist-configure.php and admin/dist-configure.php to configure.php. Well, I don't have those files, however I do have dist-configure (not preceded by "includes) and admin configure...should I change those? I am not touching it till I find out...I can see this won't be easy...help! (PS...I even checked my files before unzipping, those files are not in there!)...this is version 1.3

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New install no includes/dist-config or admin/dist-config files?

Ouch...does no one have any ideas? Anyone I can contact directly? I have a client waiting on me....help please!

Plugin Contributions

How long have you been a web designer? No, nevermind don't answer that... the includes/dist-configure.php is the file in the folder named 'includes'.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

There is no "includes" folder, which is what I am trying to tell you....I have downloaded the files 3 times, thinking I did something wrong...no includes folder in the installation files, so no includes folder in my server admin when I ftp them, either.

Oh, and no, I have not been a designer long, but I don't think that has anything to do with downloading a program and all the files not being there...I'm thinking that everyone had to be new at some time, don't you think? Thanks for the warm welcome.....

Plugin Contributions

Have you downloaded the program to your desktop? I would suggest you do and get familiar with the file structure.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

I downloaded and extracted the zip files to a folder on my desktop. Within that folder are no subfolders of any kind...just files.

Plugin Contributions

So, instead of downloading the application from the zen cart site, I just now installed it directly from godaddy, and now I have the proper folders and files....thanks so much for such a warm welcome.....

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

The Zen Cart zip file *does* contain the entire folder structure ... you just need to be sure to retain the structure (sometimes referred to "Use Folder Names" in WinZip) when unzipping.

Here's a How-To article on unzipping files, which may help you in the future:
    http://www.cse.csiro.au/library/help...p/winunzip.pdf
    Note the 5th bullet on page 2.

I believe Kim's inference, which you seem to have taken offense to, is that zipping and unzipping files is generally considered to be a basic skill when working with website scripts and for transferring files back and forth between clients and designers. When someone says they've got clients waiting on them, one would expect that "having clients" also suggests a certain degree of proficiency with standard tools. The fact that you don't seem to be familiar with zip files containing folder structures suggests that your experience level may not be up to what many would consider to be expected if one were to be engaged in providing services to clients.
    I'm sorry if you take offense to that statement. It's not meant for that. Hopefully you'll take a different approach and simply use this understanding to plug the hole in your skillset, and move on with what you desire to accomplish for yourself and your client.

Additionally, if your client isn't married to GoDaddy hosting for any particular reason, do them a favor and choose a more flexible/reliable host to run their ecommerce business. There are many good hosts listed on the "hosting" page, linked from the top of this page. If you'd like more info behind this suggestion, just grab a coffee and do a forum search for "godaddy" to see the kinds of problems typical of their hosting when it comes to scripted systems such as Zen Cart.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, that was obviously what I did wrong then....I have it live, now to see if I can customize it! Obviously I cannot just upload my html file and stylesheet, I see. I wish I would have known he wanted this before I created the html and css....oh well....
    Thank you for your help!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You'll find a number of discussions about templating and setting up your own custom template in a customized template folder (aka "override" folder).

There are some great references in the "tutorials/FAQ" section (see link at top of this page), as well as various forum threads in the Customizing section. Take a read as needed, and if you're stuck, start a thread in the appropriate section explaining as much info as possible about what challenge you're facing.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.