Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Qmail configuration problems ?

Hello All,

I have a unique problem! I have my own Linux server "Fedora core 6" Apache 2.2 Zencart 1.3.7 and we loaded "qmail" as the e-mail sever! It is set up to just send mail out! I can send mail from the server all day it is working fine. But my Zencart is not sending mail out for some reason? I downloaded the archive module and turned it on. I can see evey e-mail ever sent they are all there! Yet we never recieve any e-mail from the zencart? We have tried several settings! It is supose to send the mail to [email protected] which is at 1and1. I did it this way on purpose because I do not allow people to use the server so they use a windows pc! So I figured I would just leave the MX record alone an use 1and1 so thus Qmail is only set up for outbound! Anyone one have any thoughts on this

www.petestown.com Rich

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Qmail configuration problems ?

Your emails are probably being dumped by the destination server.
    Common causes of such could be:
    - blacklisted IP address of server
    - incorrect reverse MX configuration
    - invalid relaying
    - attempting to trick the server into thinking email is coming from a certain place but it isn't
    Anytime you try to spoof or trick the servers, you'll likely get bitten.

For more assistance on managing webservers and mailservers, try a dedicated forum such as webhostingtalk.com

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Doc,

Well the IP's are mine and the emiil address at 1and1 is mine as well. So I would not expect a blackmailed IP. The mx record is still set for the 1and1 mail server. Invalid Rely? as in how I have the server setup? We ae only testing on our IP back to where we have our Domain Names so I don't think anything is being seen as we are tricking it! I downloaded and installed the archive module as I mentioned. I have read where if it shows up in the archive that it has passed itself of to the servers email? I do not believe this to be true. Becuase I have the server sitting here next to me and none of the Qmail Logs show any activity at all? Even if it was wrong there should be something in the error log. If I use any other transport method in the admin/config/email setings other than qmail or send mai. I get a white screen with an SMTP error message saying that a conectoin cannot be established. But if I use qmail or sendmail it says the mail has been sent successfuly! Its in the archive but yet there is nothing in the qmail log and it never gets delivered. So I believe its a communication problem betwwen qmail and the zencart I do not have something configured right! The problem is there is really no documentation in the forum about qmail that I have found. www.petestown.com Rich

Plugin Contributions

Hey Doc,

Do you see anything wrong with these settings?

Title Value Action
    E-Mail Transport Method Qmail
    E-Mail Linefeeds LF
    Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails false
    Send E-Mails true
    Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS false
    Email Archiving Active? true
    E-Mail Friendly-Errors false
    Email Address (Displayed to Contact you) [email protected]
    Email Address (sent FROM) [email protected]
    Emails must send from known domain? No
    Email Admin Format? TEXT
    Send Copy of Order Confirmation Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Tell a Friend Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Tell a Friend Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Customer GV Send Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer GV Send Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin GV Mail Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer Admin GV Mail Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin Discount Coupon Mail Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer Admin Discount Coupon Mail Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin Orders Status Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Admin Orders Status Emails To [email protected]
    Send Notice of Pending Reviews Emails To - Status 0
    Send Notice of Pending Reviews Emails To [email protected]
    Set "Contact Us" Email Dropdown List [email protected]
    Allow Guest To Tell A Friend true
    Contact Us - Show Store Name and Address 1
    Send Low Stock Emails 0
    Send Low Stock Emails To [email protected]
    Display "Newsletter Unsubscribe" Link? true
    Audience-Select Count Display true
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox
    SMTP Email Account Password
    SMTP Email Mail Host
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port
    Convert currencies for Text emails £,£:€,€

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by PetesTown View Post
    I have read where if it shows up in the archive that it has passed itself of to the servers email? I do not believe this to be true. Becuase I have the server sitting here next to me and none of the Qmail Logs show any activity at all? Even if it was wrong there should be something in the error log.
    How much of an expert at mailservers, esp Qmail, are you?
    The problem is there is really no documentation in the forum about qmail that I have found.
    Zen Cart's forum is not intended to be a tech support resource for configuring and managing webservers and mailservers.
    Qmail isn't exactly current technology. It was popular in its day. There should be a reasonable amount of documentation elsewhere on the internet about how to use it and configure it.
    If I use any other transport method in the admin/config/email setings other than qmail or send mai. I get a white screen with an SMTP error message saying that a conectoin cannot be established.
    That would be because whatever mailserver it's trying to connect to isn't responding to acknowledge the request to send mail.

Um ... why don't you just use SMTPAUTH and connect to your 1and1 mailserver account directly?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Doc,

Well I'll gather you thought the setting were OK LOL! Um I did not set the Qmail up. I had a local guy here in town that I know and all he does is Linux work and he uses Qmail. He has also done the www.cahebeautysupply.com setup. If you go to yahoo and use the beauty tap it comes form right here in Jonesboro! So I have several people around me that are good with Linux and e-commerce. No one has used this cart. I found it and I love it. But I decided on the qmail becuase its pretty secure.. We have it running on a server in Chicago works great. It is running here as well I can send e-mail out all day from the server, but for some reason that no one can seem to figure out it is not picking up what we send from the cart! Its puzziling we all feel it should be working. I will try the smtpauth right to 1and1. Sorry if I'm aggravating you DOC. You seem to be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to how the system and cart work together!

Plugin Contributions

Hummmmm not good Doc. I turned off qmail and set smtpauth and then I put all the smtp info and it gave me Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

www.petestown.com

SMTP Email Account Mailbox [email protected]
    SMTP Email Account Password xxxxxxxxxxxx
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtp.1and1.com
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 25

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I turned off qmail and set smtpauth and then I put all the smtp info and it gave me Email Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

www.petestown.com

SMTP Email Account Mailbox [email protected]
    SMTP Email Account Password xxxxxxxxxxxx
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtp.1and1.com
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 25
    You're running your server from home, right? Is it possible that your ISP has port 25 blocked for all email going to servers other than their own mailserver? (a practice commonly used to prevent spam relays)
    If so, then you might need to try connecting on a different port ... depends which ports 1and1's servers are listening on.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Qmail usually uses a sendmail wrapper, but from the qmail folder.

Is your qmail installed such that the sendmail binary is located at this path: ?
    /var/qmail/bin/sendmail

If not, where is it located?

Plugin Contributions

Yes Doc that is the correct path I just checked! But tell me this! Just because I turn off qmail the SMTPAUTH still might not work anyway because of the original sendmail is turned off and the sendmail qmail module is installed "would that be true"? So it still might be interfering with the SMTP protocal ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast