Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Home page defaults to HOME_PAGE_TITLE

Hi

I have recently upgraded to 1.3.8 and I have been setting up my customizations. I have a problem now; I have altered my /includes/languages/english/CUSTOM/meta-tags.php to change the define ('TITLE', 'sitename');

where CUSTOM is my template name and sitename is the true name of the site :)

The Homepage shows this in the browser bar HOME_PAGE_TITLE

Any ideas?

Almost everything else is working, I do have a different issue with the newlsetter subscribe module that has stopped working but I have another post in the correct thread for this. I only mention it to include all factors.

Regards

Dave
    Last edited by dml311071; 9 Dec 2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Home page defaults to HOME_PAGE_TITLE

Quote Originally Posted by dml311071 View Post
    I have altered my /includes/languages/english/CUSTOM/meta-tags.php to change the define ('TITLE', 'sitename');

where CUSTOM is my template name and sitename is the true name of the site
    You need to merge the new lines from the original meta_tags.php language file with your custom file.
    You need to do that with *ALL* your language file overrides.
    And with *ALL* your template-override files as well.

WinMerge is a handy tool for that

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply

Have I given the impression that I have created a new meta-tags.php file containing only a line with the sitename change?
    I took the original meta-tags.php file and I have altered the relevant lines, ie. those that contain my site info and saved the whole file to my CUSTOM folder here:

/includes/languages/english/CUSTOM/

and kept the original here:

/includes/languages/english/

I have check my backup files and this is how it was set up before.

Regards

Dave

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Okay ... so you're saying your file is already correct?
    I'm suggesting that your file was customized using an *old* version, and not the version you're upgrading to.

So ... to troubleshoot ... does your file contain a "define" statement for 'HOME_PAGE_TITLE' ? If not, either you've deleted that one, or you've customized from an old file, or you've really fudged up the syntax of something you've edited.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Has \includes\languages\english\meta_tags.php been replaced by includes\modules\metatags.php?

It doesn't look like the define values are being used. I have a custom directory, and those values aren't showing up, and neither are the Zen Cart default defines, either.

Will we see HOME_PAGE_TITLE unless we edit includes\modules\metatags.php, a file that may not have been edited before? It used to default to a Zen Cart title.

---Diana
    Last edited by dbrewster; 14 Dec 2007 at 08:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dbrewster View Post
    Has \includes\languages\english\meta_tags.php been replaced by includes\modules\metatags.php?
    No ... no ... no.

/includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php contains the defaults.
    Your custom version of that file will contain stuff related to *your* site, and must be based on the default version.

If you had customized your "old" /includes/languages/english/YOUR_CUSTOM_FOLDER/meta_tags.php file, then you'll have to merge the updated content from the default file.

The /includes/modules/meta_tags.php file is completely SEPARATE. It's processing logic, not language defines.
    And, if you have a customized /includes/modules/YOUR_CUSTOM_FOLDER/meta_tags.php file then you'll have to merge the new stuff into your customized version as well.

Plugin Contributions

So sorry to spout garbage, Dr. Byte!!!!!!! MEA CULPA.

I further investigated my updates and found that, INDEED, I had not updated includes/languages/english/metatags.php and once I had done that, I updated my customized version, and VOILA.

I hope my errors, bumbling, and discovery help others, as always!

Thank you for your patience with us lot of bumbling updaters.

(this is why I maintain a "test" site, a practice I HIGHLY recommend for all serious shop managers.)

---Diana

Plugin Contributions

Awesome help guys - I had the exact same issue and this thread fixed me right up!

Plugin Contributions

Riiight... Not sure if I completely understood the info here (suffering from the same problem) but I have my actual site description info in both languages/english/meta_tags.php and languages/swahili/meta_tags.php and I have not touched my includes/modules/meta_tags.php at all.

So I do have a custom language installed. I simply can not find the right file where to fix this silly problem. And I'm not sure I actually "got" all the suggestions presented above... I know - I'm an amateur.

So explain this like you would to a 6-year-old?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by deivid View Post
    Riiight... Not sure if I completely understood the info here (suffering from the same problem) but I have my actual site description info in both languages/english/meta_tags.php and languages/swahili/meta_tags.php and I have not touched my includes/modules/meta_tags.php at all.

So I do have a custom language installed. I simply can not find the right file where to fix this silly problem. And I'm not sure I actually "got" all the suggestions presented above... I know - I'm an amateur.

So explain this like you would to a 6-year-old?
    Please post the contents of your /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php
    AND your /includes/languages/swahili/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php
    and maybe also compare those against the original /includes/languages/english/meta_tags.php file ... to ensure that you're not missing any definitions in your customized files vs the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast