Plugin Contributions

Default add custom category to homepage

i wanted to perhaps add a new category like "Most Popular" and make it appear on the homepage with some products under it. I know how to make a new category but I don't know how to make it show up on the homepage such as the way "Features Products" or "New Products for [month]" or "Bestsellers" does. THanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: add custom category to homepage

You might look at the Best Sellers Page mod in Downloads. You can change the displayed name of a box in language files.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    You might look at the Best Sellers Page mod in Downloads. You can change the displayed name of a box in language files.
    I have to download it and install it? Shouldn't this be an easy thing to do, isn't it a rather common thing to do for a custom shopping cart. Can i change the name of of a box in the language files of Featured Products? I'd rather not install any mods since im very unfamilar with that. This seems like it should be a pretty basic thing to accomplish with the regular installation, such as assigning a category type to a category that allows me to list it on the main page if i want. Isn't Featured Products a category? Or is it a 'module' with special capabilities?

Plugin Contributions

i wanted to perhaps add a new category like "Most Popular" and make it appear on the homepage with some products under it.

--> So you want to manually add products to be displayed here?
    Sure you can use the Featured products, you just need to change its name.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    i wanted to perhaps add a new category like "Most Popular" and make it appear on the homepage with some products under it.

--> So you want to manually add products to be displayed here?
    Sure you can use the Featured products, you just need to change its name.
    well i am already using the Featured Products.. can i use Special Products? Is there another one that is safe to use that i can manually add to? thanks

Plugin Contributions

Special is for discounted products I think.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    Okay i am going to try this, but im wondering, will this allow me to put it on the homepage like Featured Products? When i read the readme to the best sellers mod it explained how to link to the best sellers page and how to access the best sellers page but now how to have it on the homepage. Can you explain or am i missing something?

Plugin Contributions

No, that mod is not for this special case. If you want to add products to a special categories, and display that category on the front page, I'm afraid that you may have to get your hand dirty for some coding (just some minor coding though)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    No, that mod is not for this special case. If you want to add products to a special categories, and display that category on the front page, I'm afraid that you may have to get your hand dirty for some coding (just some minor coding though)
    thanks a lot