Plugin Contributions

Default I think Im going to cry, I dont know what the heck Im doing.

The more I spend on this project the more I dont understand one thing about it. Is there anyone who can do it for me for a fee? for very little set up, I will take the generic page as long as it gets me to the point I can use the Admin section to add products and not have to worry about going into my ftp..
    I dont even want a fancy template.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I think Im going to cry, I dont know what the heck Im doing.

Might be able to assist - check your PM's
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

From your other posts, it sounds like you are trying to do too much at once. It's not that difficult, but there is a learning curve. If you really want to hire someone to do it for you, post a notice in Commercial Help Wanted.

To create a very basic custom template (you can build from there), you need:
    • includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/meta_tags.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/header.php (to change the logo)
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_header.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/images/logo.gif
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css

Anywhere you see a /classic/ folder, you can create a folder for your custom template. You can copy the necessary files from either the /classic/ folder, the /template_default/ folder or the parent folder.

Edit includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php to give your template identifying information so you'll recognize it in the admin under tools->template selection.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Im pulling the plug on this one for now...
    my husband has seen me staring at this thing for 3 days now, with no progress...
    Im going to look at some cheap monthly hosting options now..
    I do have to admit, this was too big of a piece to bite off for a newbee...
    not that it wasnt fun, in a weird kind of way, its just that doing it for the sake of doing it isnt giving me any future in it..if you know what I mean (the old taking advanced algebra and never using it, or in my case, engineering physics)..
    thanks everyone for your help and inspiration...

Plugin Contributions

I hope you'll reconsider and give Zen Cart another chance. It isn't really as complicated as it seems. It sounds like you might be on the verge of a breakthrough (seriously!). I find I'm always just before I get the hang of something. If you try the list I posted earlier, I'm sure you'll start to see how it works and how to get where you want to be.

There are lots of free templates in the downloads section which are attractive and can help you figure out your own design.

I suggest you download and unzip the latest version of Zen Cart on your local drive (your computer). You don't need to be able to run Zen Cart locally (that's far more complicated), but having it available locally will give you an idea of the structure.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by afo View Post
    I hope you'll reconsider and give Zen Cart another chance. It isn't really as complicated as it seems. It sounds like you might be on the verge of a breakthrough (seriously!). I find I'm always just before I get the hang of something. If you try the list I posted earlier, I'm sure you'll start to see how it works and how to get where you want to be.

There are lots of free templates in the downloads section which are attractive and can help you figure out your own design.

I suggest you download and unzip the latest version of Zen Cart on your local drive (your computer). You don't need to be able to run Zen Cart locally (that's far more complicated), but having it available locally will give you an idea of the structure.
    thanks for the word of support, I guess I have to justify having had ordered the two Zen books yesterday...
    when I get them I will leaf through them. I am a person who does not take joy in working on something I perceive as difficult, (Im too old for that!)

I am not big on working hard for something that isnt that big in reward..I will wait till the book comes...and then go back to it. I took it off my system for now, I didn't want to see it..
    I hope the book isn't like reading translated instructions from another country...otherwise, I will be putting them up for sale here next week...

Plugin Contributions

I agree! A lot of folks think they'll have a site up and functioning almost instantaneously with hardly any effort and are in a big rush to make it so.
    But any endeavor satisfying to one's soul doesn't come instantaneously.

Wishing you luck on whatever you decide.
    [FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhya View Post
    thanks for the word of support, I guess I have to justify having had ordered the two Zen books yesterday...
    when I get them I will leaf through them. I am a person who does not take joy in working on something I perceive as difficult, (Im too old for that!)

I am not big on working hard for something that isnt that big in reward..I will wait till the book comes...and then go back to it. I took it off my system for now, I didn't want to see it..
    I hope the book isn't like reading translated instructions from another country...otherwise, I will be putting them up for sale here next week...
    If it's any comfort to you, I'm likely older than you are.

If you do as I suggested, lots of what seems confusing should clear up for you. Take it one step at a time. You'll get there.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Many people are willing to pay to have someone do the setup for them and they come afterwards to setup Shop. Same as a Brick and Mortar Shop; you don't build the building but come in after it's built and the lights work along with the other essentials. Then the Store Owner does any personalizing, such interior decorating and such then brings in their stock and opens the store.

Not much different on the Internet but for some, they figure to install a script, automagically know how it works and how they can customize things to their liking. Never be shy about admitting something is beyond your knowledge / experience or paying someone to get things off the ground for you. That is one of the reasons why the Forum has a Commercial Section which many take advantage of. Usually you'll get someone who knows Zen Cart and is probably a regular poster at this Forum.

Plugin Contributions

Whatever you do, don't lose faith in what you're doing.

As others have said, it's possible you're trying to take on too much at once. All it takes, though, is for you to pick an area and nibble at it. Once you get the hang of that you'll find it all starts to make more sense and fall into place.

You also need to think of the probability that, in the long run, you'll make better use of your time (and therefore your money) if you farm out some of your development work to someone who can get your system up and running quickly. You can then follow on behind and go through the learning curve at a more leisurely pace.

You'll get there.

Now - I'm off to bed (at 05:00) after a sleepless night working through some problems on my new version of Swift Books. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this ...

Take care!
    We're now settled in at our final home - http://www.swiftbooks.co.uk - where you'll find an eclectic collection of used books. Still a lot of work to do, though!