Plugin Contributions

Default wait for book? or pay someone? my time is a'wasted

seeing that this is something that can only frustrate me, along with any of the free programs like Oscommerce, I am taking a break from this until I get the books I ordered. I will read the books and then decide if I want to waste my time learning something I have never even touched before or just go by the way of buying someones premade store front. because sitting here is like being in school, it isnt going to do me any good. Kind of like learning algebra..I will never use this again.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: wait for book? or pay someone? my time is a'wasted

Sorry to hear that you are so frustrated. I felt the same way you did about 3 months ago.
    I would first read all the tutorials/FAQ on this site. That helps alot. The book is very will written and a great reference as well as this site is.
    The most imprtant thing to do is BACK UP your files in a safe place. If you get stick post your problems, usually you will get a response within a day or so. Explain your problem as best as you can.
    Mistakes are a learning experince. I myself have learn alot from the expert on this site. Try to help others is also good esp when you justed learned it and you see someone else needs help.

nomad

Plugin Contributions

several things you need to look into while you are waiting on the book,

1 download and play with a good ftp program,
    2 get a good text editor ( not notepad or word ) preferably something without the MS name on it, crimson editor and textpad are 2 good ones

3 delete the files that you have there now ( Im assuming that you used fantastico to do the install ) they are more than likely out of date,

4 upload a fresh set of files ( available in the download section ) and run a manual install,
    get used to the features of ZC and your software to edit and transfer

thses things will be of great help, and will keep the confusion down, when you read in the directions that you need to modify a DEFINE you will then know to ftp it to the pc make changes and re-upload and where to upload too
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Sandhya:

I was using oscommerce for almost a year till one on my Clients turned me onto Zen Cart. I thought it was more of a headache to change. Little did I realize how easy Zen has become. The more i use it the more I want to learn how to do more.

Take a look at the many templates offered in the downloads section. Pick one. Save it on your computer for when you are ready.

Listen to Merlin, he is wise.

Back in 2001, I could not for the life of me figure out how to upload pages to my own website so I paid someone to do it. Once I figured out how to do it, the net was mine.

Any Text Editor will work, just don't save as anything other than the same file name.

Be patient little one, knowledge will be gained in time.

Tools I use- HTML editor BBedit tops for the Mac (barebones,com), Adobe Photoshop, FTP Fetch (www.fetchsoftworks.com), list goes on. All have 30 day free trials.

You are welcomed to PM me.
    Cheers!
    v2.0+

Plugin Contributions

One thing you should try to avoid is making any changes on your files is using the Cpanel. Find a good ftp program like Merlin said change your permission thought that. I usually make a copy of a file before I'm going to make any changes and I also do not close the file that I'm working on until I know it works. I save it then I ftp it and make sure it works.

nomad