Plugin Contributions

Default Additional Pages in the Checkout Process

Excuse me if this is in the wrong forum (please move if necessary).

I've done a bit of digging through the Zen Cart code, however, I'm at loss for a 'simple' way to add a page to the checkout process (for generic distribution so it has to be friendly with themes and the like). I'm currently integrating a CO2 emissions calculator that would add an offset (donation) to the checkout process, however, it has to have its own page (not my decision).

Phew, lots of parentheses. I'd appreciate any help :) Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Additional Pages in the Checkout Process

It can be done and it's not excessively difficult, but nor is it simple. The checkout is the core of any shopping cart and for one as well featured as Zen Cart, that's always going to be a fairly complex piece of code.

Personally though, I'd add this as a module to the shopping cart page, in much the same way as the estimate shipping can be set to display on that page, rather than as a popup.

This would be more simple and allow you to get the contents and pricing correct before you start on checkout steps.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Well, it doesn't need to be simple per se, but is there a way to integrate the page without changing the core files? Adding it as a module isn't quite an option, as the client wants it to be an individual page.

Do you think you could explain the flow of the filesystem in the checkout process?

Thanks.

edit:/ By the way, it won't be a popup, it'll be an individual page (when you hit next it goes to ___).. if that changes anything.
    Last edited by harishl; 31 Dec 2007 at 11:01 AM.

Plugin Contributions

To change the checkout flow will certainly require changes to core files.

Each page in that sequence has the normal Zen Cart page structure, the most important parts of which are the files in the relevant includes/modules/pages folder, the relevant language file and the page's template file.

Progress between checkout pages is managed by submitting the form that makes up the bulk of each page.

Some of these forms call the page recursively, validating the results in the pages modules and then redirecting to the next page in the sequence. Others call the next page whose pages modules validate and if needed send the visitor back to complete missing information. So how exactly your new page will function will depend where in the flow you wish to insert it.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Hm, have there been no add ons for adding last minute specials to the checkout process (similar to what Godaddy does with its "Wait! Add these doma...")? I feel like I'm overlooking something.