Plugin Contributions

Default Shorter Category Descriptions?

Hi Everyone,
    After some initial feedback from friends on how my Zencart is developing, the main suggestion has been to shorten the initial category descriptions on each category page by adding a "Read More..." link after the first couple of sentences.

I was wondering if this is already available as a setting or mod, or if I will have to use Dreamweaver Spry widgets in order to get this effect?

Just to be clear, I'd like the category descriptions to read as follows...

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur...read more."

rather than

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum."

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Shorter Category Descriptions?

There is no built in support for this, so you would need to add your own javascript, SPRY or otherwise. You may find it helpful to read the file in your docs folder about adding javascript to Zen Cart. There's a built in structure/naming convention to help with this.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    There is no built in support for this, so you would need to add your own javascript, SPRY or otherwise. You may find it helpful to read the file in your docs folder about adding javascript to Zen Cart. There's a built in structure/naming convention to help with this.
    Many thanks for your reply Kuroi. I have read the files in my docs folder now, and installed my spry Javascript into my templates/jscript folder.

It seems to have done the trick (although it has interfered with my imagehandler pop-ups).

I will see what they can help me with in the image handler thread.

Plugin Contributions

I can probably short cut the Image Handler issue for you ...

You have probably installed the image handler javascript in your template_default/jscript folder. When you put stuff in a MY_TEMPLATE/jscript folder, Zen Cart stops looking at the template_default equivalent. So sorting your problem will hopefully require no more than putting a second copy into (or moving it to) your template's jscript folder.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    I can probably short cut the Image Handler issue for you ...

You have probably installed the image handler javascript in your template_default/jscript folder. When you put stuff in a MY_TEMPLATE/jscript folder, Zen Cart stops looking at the template_default equivalent. So sorting your problem will hopefully require no more than putting a second copy into (or moving it to) your template's jscript folder.

Yes, you are correct Kuroi, that solved it.

Thanks again.