Plugin Contributions

Default Local install...mods/addons necessary?

First, thanks to the Zen Cart crew and helpful posters on this site. Our live site has been up for quite some time. I'm in the process of updating and generally revamping the site. Adding new products, etc.

I've installed Zen Cart locally using WAMP and other than not being able to use the Mysql Backup Tool (which I did download and install) everything seems to be working fine.

In case anyone knows a fix here's the error:

Result code: 1
    0 => 'mysqldump" "--host' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    1 => operable program or batch file.
    Failure: The database has NOT been saved.

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

-----------------------------------------

The above is really an aside. I just figured (after spending hours searching the forum and trying to fix it) that I just need to use phpMyAdmin for backing up the local database. I'm resolved to it. The Mysql Backup tool works fine on my live server. (Camelot Hosting - Thanks Tony!)

There are several mods/addons installed on the live (internet) server. Like Image Handler, LinkPoint, QuickBooks, Super Orders, etc. My question is, do I need to install these mods locally before I add products to my local shop if I plan to upload the database to the live server? Not sure if that question makes sense.

I'm thinking...
    - skip installing the addons,
    - add products, images, etc to the shop locally,
    - upload the database to the live server.

Also, thinking of working on the template locally and uploading changes to the server.

Does it work this way? Or, do I have to have the mods installed too? I really like the idea of working locally first. I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Thanks for any help,
    Rebekah
    TheWindCutter.com
    Professional Microphone Windscreens
    Got wind noise? We've got you covered.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Local install...mods/addons necessary?

I guess what I saying is...

- I'm resolved to backing up manually - unless someone knows a fix, this is fine.

- I know about backing up files and overwriting using FTP to upload changes to the template - so this isn't really a problem

---> What I really want to know about is are the mods /addons (like Super Order, Image Handler, etc.) somehow connected to the database? If I add products to my local shop (with pictures, descriptions, prices, etc.) and then replace the online shop's database does this cause a problem? Do I need all the same mods installed locally before I start?

I hope this is clear. Maybe no one's understanding what I'm asking.
    TheWindCutter.com

Plugin Contributions

Do I need all the same mods installed locally before I start?
    Not sure if you are trying to develop locally and then upload to a host or have this on a host and want to tweak it locally.

If the latter - then just copy all the host files and DB to your local then you have all that is required for mods
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Hi Kobra! Thanks for the reply.

Here's the situation. Right now we have a live site (http://thewindcutter.com/) It's version 1.3.6 but started out on 1.2.7.

I want to start fresh and my host (Tony @ Camelot) installed 1.3.7 on my site in a subdirectory for me, complete with several addons.

I've installed ZC (1.3.7) locally using WAMP. The only problem being that the MySql Backup tool does not work to backup the database. (See error above.) The backup tool DOES work on the internet server just fine.

Right now the install on the internet has no products or anything. I'm wondering if I add the products, images, shipping costs, etc. locally. Can I just upload the database to the internet shop (not live yet) will that work?

I think it just dawned on me that you're saying I need to copy all the files from the internet install to my local install. Right, then I guess I need to change some config files?

Sorry for seeming so dense. Working on my website sometimes seems like learning Spanish in high school and then trying to speak it twenty years later without having practiced in the meantime because there didn't seem a need to. :)

Thank for your help. I really appreciate it.

Rebekah
    TheWindCutter.com

Plugin Contributions

I've installed ZC (1.3.7) locally using WAMP. The only problem being that the MySql Backup tool does not work to backup the database.
    You should have phpmyadmin with WAMP for the DB.
    I think it just dawned on me that you're saying I need to copy all the files from the internet install to my local install. Right, then I guess I need to change some config files?
    Guess not if there are no products or anything to preserve.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Yes, I have phpmyadmin. After hours of searching the forum I figure the mysql backup tool just won't work offline and I'll need to use phpmyadmin.

So, with a fresh install locally (with no addons or mods installed) is it a good idea to just add products and upload the database to the online install? Or, should I copy the online install (complete with mods) and use that? I don't understand whether the mods/addons are interacting with the database or separate. Or, whether I need to be working with an exact duplicate of my online install because it does have mods installed.

There's talk about offline developing but is there somewhere that explains (in layman's terms) the step-by-step process of how to go about it?

Thanks again,
    Rebekah
    TheWindCutter.com

Plugin Contributions

r, should I copy the online install (complete with mods) and use that?
    That is wht I would do...
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Well, I've downloaded my "shop" folder from the internet and now I'm getting this problem with Image Handler:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85361

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
    Rebekah
    TheWindCutter.com

Plugin Contributions

Look at the php requirements for IH2 as I suspect that the WAMP does not have these installed or enabled - the image stuff libraries
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten