Plugin Contributions

Default Want to use a printed gift certificate (with code) in the gift certificate process?

Hi,

I would like to set up and use a paper gift certificate in place of the email that would usually be sent to the recipient... The way I picture it working is: a customer comes to the store and purchases the merchandise gift certificate to give to someone else... The store manager sees this "order" like any other order but in addition sees the gift certificate code generated and writes this on the paper gift certificate and then mails this to the customer... who gives it to the recipient...who then goes to the online store and places an order and pays for it using the code...

Has anyone set anything up like this?

Am thinking it may be wise to "turn on" the girt certificate module and let it work as it is intended, including sending the email.... and just have the paper gift certificate sent out as a "formality" without the code....

Or if I could modify the email that is sent out, maybe that becomes the "paper" gift certificate...

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to use a printed gift certificate (with code) in the gift certificate proces

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to use a printed gift certificate (with code) in the gift certificate proces

Thanks! I looked for a similar post, before posting mine, but didn't see the one you directed me too...Now, I've read through it all and it is very helpful....but I'm still not sure about how to generate a gift certificate number in admin? I've read through the thread again and looked in admin, but don't see it... This is what I've done... I set up the paper gift certificate as a regular product which can be purchased... I've also installed the Gift Certificate module... What I'm thinking will happen is... a customer comes to the store and purchases the gift certificate, the store manager sees this order and in admin generates a gift certificate or redemption code (THIS IS THE PART I DON'T KNOW WHERE EXACTLY IT IS DONE?) and then writes the redemption code on the paper gift certificate and sends it out.... The recipient comes to the market and enters the redemption code while placing an order....

If you can help clarify the one part of this I don't understand, Thanks! And Thanks for directing me to the similar thread...

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

In your admin, on the menu bar, toward the right, is a section called "Gift Certificate/Coupons". From there you have some menu options for managing gift certificates.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Gift Certificates FAQ in tutorials section i.e.
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=64

Plugin Contributions

Since writing about this problem...and thanks for directing me --- I've found out that the zen cart I would like to do this with does not have COUPON ADMIN under GIFT CERTIFICATES/COUPONS and this looks like the place where the Store Manager would generate a coupon code to write on the gift certificate when sold....

I discovered this because I went into another zen cart I am working on, not using gift certificates...and this zen cart has COUPON ADMIN,,,,

The zen cart I want to use the paper gift certificates with is http://www.motherhousemarket.com/

So, now I have to ask ----

Is it within COUPON ADMIN that the Store Manager would generate a gift certificate code?

Why isn't COUPON ADMIN showing up in this zen cart? (I've tried reinstalling GIFT CERTIFICATES under MODULES/ORDER TOTAL)

What can I do to have COUPON ADMIN show up and also have a place - it looks like it is referred to as DISCOUNT COUPONS - for entering the code at CHECKOUT?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by HelenSama View Post
    Is it within COUPON ADMIN that the Store Manager would generate a gift certificate code?
    I sell gift certificates that customers can give away as gifts. So I have to manually generate the gift certificate codes and print them on a gift certificate that I send to customers. Here's the process that I use:

1. I first set up my gift certificate as a regular product using a different model number than what ZenCart suggests. (ZenCart suggests using GIFT as the model number. Don't use this if you want to generate the code manually.)

2. When an order comes through, I go in ADMIN, and under the heading GIFT CERTIFICATES/COUPONS, I select MAIL GIFT CERTIFICATE. I then send an email to myself for the amount of the gift certificate that was purchased.

3. When I receive the email, I copy the gift certificate code included in the email and paste it on my gift certificate image.

4. I then email the gift certificate as a GIF. When customers receive the gift certificate, they can print it out themselves on photo paper and give the printed copy as a gift, or they can forward the GIF to the recipient. The recipient will then enter the gift certificate code on the website to activate the funds.

I actually generated a bunch of codes ahead of time for various amounts and stored them on my computer. Now when an order comes in, I can quickly grab the code associated with the amount that was purchased.

You can see how I did this at:
    http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

So far, it has worked great over the holidays, and my customers had virtually no questions about the process.

Plugin Contributions

Just looking at this again and have now installed the DISCOUNT COUPON module and so now COUPON ADMIN is showing up!!! BUT, I thought I should just try this out, so I went into MAIL GIFT CERTIFICATE, not COUPON ADMIN and did a test and see that it does generate a code which appears in the email which is sent to the recipient...and that the Store Manager can have access to this as well... It looks like if I had selected to send the email to Admin, then no email would be sent to the recipient and that is what I would like.... as the Store Manager dosn't know who the Paper Gift Certificate is going to be given to, just who bought it...

So, I think I am all set, thanks to your help!

Plugin Contributions

Hi, Thanks for the specifics!

I have written out step by step instructions for the Store Manager to send the gift certificate email to herself and then to copy the code in that email onto the paper Gift Certificate. I liked looking at cobraplant.com and liked how you have lots of details about the process. It is also helpful to hear that you have been doing this and that it has been going smoothly!

Helen

Plugin Contributions

[QUOTE=HelenSama;490460]Since writing about this problem...and thanks for directing me --- I've found out that the zen cart I would like to do this with does not have COUPON ADMIN under GIFT CERTIFICATES/COUPONS and this looks like the place where the Store Manager would generate a coupon code to write on the gift certificate when sold....

I had this problem with my cart and I had to install it
    In your admin:
    go to Modules->Order Total->Discount Coupon->Install

michelle