Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: easy populate all my prices show 0.00

What version of EP are you using? You have to use v 1.2.5.4, the other one ported from OSC that is in the downloads section will not register the prices. So it sounds like you may be using the OSC ported version.

EP states that you need to use a tab delimited txt file. I always use a tab delimited txt file, but perhaps a csv file works just the same but I've never tried.

I've uploaded 2000 products in one file without any problems, but you can choose to split the file within the EP interface in the admin control panel, so it's not necessary to create seperate files that are only a few hundred products.

The "preview only" that you are getting is the standard setup when you go to admin>catalog>products price manager, that is not an error. When you go to admin>catalog>categories/products you can drill down to get to your products to see how they transferred.

Let me know what version of EP you are using, perhaps I can help you get it figured out.

Matt

Zen Cart and it's community are the best!!

Plugin Contributions

Ok I checked my version. When I click on Easy Populate it says
    Easy Populate1.2.5.4

I'm glad to know the preview only part is normal but, this other is driving me nuts

I also used excel and saved it as a txt delimited file. I've tried uploading in one big file and breaking it up
    Last edited by Dichroic; 12 Jan 2008 at 01:12 AM.

Plugin Contributions

another thing that I can think of from experience. I use Open Office and after saving in OO, I have to open the file back up in a text editor, I use the free notepad++, and strip out the ". I make sure that all " that I want in my product name or descriptions are replaced by " while still in Open Office( first I replace all & with & and then do the "/" replacement). That way the text editor only strips out the " that the spreadsheet leaves to delimit text fields, which will give problems with EP if they aren't stripped out. I am sure(at least I am hopeful!) that someone will pipe in with a way to get rid of the " in the spreadsheet so I don't have to go back in with notepad++ to strip them out.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't confuse you further!

Matt

Plugin Contributions

ok alittle confused...I'm new to HTML as well.

Would you mind giving me an example to work off of?

I found the " around my titles but, I don't quite get what to replace it with

Thanx

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dichroic View Post
    ok alittle confused...I'm new to HTML as well.

Would you mind giving me an example to work off of?

I found the " around my titles but, I don't quite get what to replace it with

Thanx
    This is the way it looks when it's saved in Open Office. I opened it up in a text editor, in this case notepad++, and copied it here:

"v_products_model" "v_products_image" "v_products_name_1" "v_products_description_1" "v_products_url_1" "v_specials_price"

then I use the find and replace feature of notepad++ to take away all of the " and replace it with nothing (you leave the "replace with" field blank):

v_products_model v_products_image v_products_name_1 v_products_description_1 v_products_url_1 v_specials_price

It's still tab delimited, so everything lines up. You save it as a txt file and now it's ready to upload.

Sometimes, you can get funny results with EP if there are extra tabs in a description, or extra ". That's why it's advisable to replace all & with & first and then replace all " with " second when you are in the spreadsheet, plus doing those 2 things with make your product listings XHTML valid if that matters to you. XHTML doesn't allow the & or " characters to be used in text since they are also used in code.

I am assuming that you downloaded a complete EP file from your store and then replaced the product listings with the new listings that you want to upload, leaving line 1 untouched?

I would highly recommend downloading notepad++, it's free and it has many very useful features for working on various aspects of your zen cart.

Please let us know if you have any other problems, and let me know if you need any further clarification.

Matt
    Last edited by lankeeyankee; 12 Jan 2008 at 04:54 PM.

Plugin Contributions

That clarrifies things a bit yes. Thank you for your patience. Nothing quite like throwing yourself into a project when you know absolutley nothing. At least it's for myself and not somebody else so if it takes awhile it doesn't much matter :)

I just down loaded open office last night so I'm going to try revising and uploading in there if taking out all the " doesn't work.

Eventually, I'm sure I'll get this kink worked out. Although I have thought about scrapping everything and starting new. Thinking maybe a file got dropped in my original down load.

Plugin Contributions

Although I have thought about scrapping everything and starting new.
    Stick with it.. Open Office and Easy Populate work fine..

Plugin Contributions

OK so this question may be lame...
    I transfered my data to the open office data base however I can't find a way to save it as a txt file. What do I need to save the file as?

Thanx

Plugin Contributions

Download txt file generated by Easy Populate.
    Change into csv file, via Open Office, by
    File, open, Text/CSV, then choose easy populated
    txt file to open.. save as csv file which is your template
    for adding extra items.Settings.. seperated by Tab and
    Text delimited option "
    Each product must have a date..and
    ORIGINAL PRODUCT MODEL NUMBER..

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Dichroic View Post
    OK so this question may be lame...
    I transfered my data to the open office data base however I can't find a way to save it as a txt file. What do I need to save the file as?

Thanx
    edit: doesn't matter, answered above by another zenner.
    Last edited by lankeeyankee; 13 Jan 2008 at 08:46 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast