Plugin Contributions

Default Need Advice on shipping by weight with different sizes of packages

I sell a variety of things:
    some are small, weigh under an ounce and will fit in a small bubble envelope that weighs under an ounce.

Some things are sheets of rubber stamps that are about 6 oz per sheet

or a handmade book that weighs just under a pound but can fit in a flat rate priority mail envelope

some things are spinning fiber which are light, but "poofy" taking up space in a box.

So, I'm not sure what the best method of shipping is. Since my packaging will really vary: something that weighs 6 oz can be mailed in a kraft envelope, but something else that weighs 4 oz takes up a small box.

Any ideas? I will be mainly shipping within the U.S. but also do some international shipping.

I thought of doing it by dollar amount, but it gets complicated with international shipping. Any ideas are very welcome and appreciated!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need Advice on shipping by weight with different sizes of packages

* warning - blatant plug *

> Any ideas? I will be mainly shipping within the U.S. but also do some international shipping

Yeah. Move to Australia and install the AustPost Improved shipping module. It does pretty much everything you've listed and more. :-)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Rod, what a great idea! It's supposed to get down into negative numbers tonight, so moving some place warm sounds very nice right now.

Plugin Contributions

On these 40c days I'd love to see some negative numbers.

As for your postage problem though, one solution may be to use the per_item shipping method.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

I thought about that, but it could be expensive if someone buys multiple items. I went ahead and set it up by price, but when I test it, I'm getting "The shipping rate cannot be determined at this time" so I have to figure out what is wrong.