Plugin Contributions

Default install v1.3.8 from localhost to shared server

Greetings Fellow Zenaphiles:

I've just purchased GK Hoek's ebook "e-Start Your Web Store with Zencart".

Excellent! A tremendous labor/time saver.

Following the clear and concise directions, I have installed v1.3.8 on my localhost WIN XP Pro using XAMPP Version 1.4.16etc. I am now in the design phase of configuration and aesthetics etc.

Very soon I will want take it "live" online. My hosting is Godaddy.com shared server with 25 DB available. Although Zen Cart is available as an pre-installed optional application install, of course I want to run my own reconfigured/tweaked version with all the design revisions, stylesheets etc. which will require a complete upload including prog and Mysql DB Zencart(95 tables) etc....

While I find the documentation detailed, thorough and comprehensive, there are some areas that are conspicuously unclear/lacking.

Chiefly, it does not discuss how to get the roadtested redesigned localhost version uploaded/configured to (shared) server, including the creation/copying/configuration of the localhost database etc.

I'm sure this is not uncommon problem and has been discussed/resolved(?). I've done a few cursory searches of the forum etc, and unfortunately have not found anything that is right on point...

Can anybody be so kind as to point me to tutorial(s)/posting(s) etc. that would walk me through the process of installing on Godaddy.com? I'm not an IT guy...a right(some would say hair) brained starving artist who's just trying to set up an e-com site to scratch out a meager living(this is a living?:) selling his prints of paintings:)

So..hey...thanks very much in advance.

Any and all help greatly appreciated--not to mention the benefits of a sizable deposit in the Bank of Karma:)

Cheers...and here's to Less Freight(stuff) in Oh-Eight

Mick

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: install v1.3.8 from localhost to shared server

Welcome to Zen Cart.
    We're glad you're enjoying the software.

1. Here's an FAQ article on moving from a test area to a live server:
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=99

2. Are you *sure* you want to move to that particular hosting company's servers?
    You are apt to have some challenges with anything that requires connecting to external services such as credit card payments, PayPal, etc. It can be made to work ... but if you're not married to them for any particular reason, you might want to consider someone who does more conventional hosting. Some examples are available by clicking the "hosting" link at the top of this screen.
    This is not intended to be an ad ... simply search the forum for GoDaddy and have a read ...

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Doc...

I'll research the godaddy deal-alas...just prepaid a year...PayPal is definitely a deal breaker...

Cheers,

Mick

Plugin Contributions

BtW...FYI, Godaddy.com now offers as a free application "preinstalled" zen cart...not certain of version no....1.3.7? So I would have to assume that it must support PayPal IPN...I did the installation-15min...it was painless, and uninstallable in minutes etc...

I'll call support at GD manana...and if it does not support PayPal IPN...I'll let yoy know if not...seek a refund and ask for recommendations from you on a proven zen hosting service...

Thanks.

Cheers, Mick

Plugin Contributions

Never assume