Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Installing and setup of Zen Cart?

Hello,
    I have never installed or setup a shopping cart before on a website! I would like to install Zen Cart on my website and host it with a company called Dreamhost.

My question is how hard is it? I use Dreamweaver and have sent up and designed the website I what to install Zen Cart on but I would like to know if I should try to set up Zen Cart on my own?

If so any tips on how to get started, or what i will all need?

Thanks,

Darren

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installing and setup of Zen Cart?

Two and a half years ago I asked myself these questions. Now I build webshops for other people.

You can't use dreamweaver for zencart, but have a go at setting up a test shop. It's quite straight-forward.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Suggest you do a search on the forum for your host.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

You don't install Zen Cart on a site you have built; you install Zen Cart on your server and change its appearance (template) to your desired design. Zen Cart will be your whole site.

Installing ZC is straightforward; read the readme file that comes with the download, and other documentation. The installer walks you through the process.

Customizing the template can be very simple or very complex, depending on what you want.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gjh42 View Post
    You don't install Zen Cart on a site you have built; you install Zen Cart on your server and change its appearance (template) to your desired design. Zen Cart will be your whole site.

Installing ZC is straightforward; read the readme file that comes with the download, and other documentation. The installer walks you through the process.

Customizing the template can be very simple or very complex, depending on what you want.
    Glenn makes a good point - and one that suggests you currently have little knowledge of how database-driven websites work. Zencart IS your website - you don't "glue" it onto something you've built using html.

The OPERATIONAL (functional) side of zencart is pretty standard (ie: it behaves pretty much the same for everyone - unless you install customised programming).

The AESTHETICS (appearance and cosmetics) are very flexible and are governed chiefly by CSS, database switches (and a few tweaks to some of the php files.)

The best way to learn about zencart is to do some reading about dynamic content websites - particularly where PHP and MYSQL are involved. When you have a better grasp of how dynamic content pages are cobbled together, yo'll have a better appreciation for zencart.

Again, it's not difficult - just be patient with it.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Ok so I might be totally out of the loop! Thanks for the replies so far, just trying to learn.

But from what I understand from your posts is that Zen Cart is a site in itself that you get directed to from the site site that people are shopping off of.

The customers make selections on your site and that info is sent to a shopping cart on your Zen Cart site and there on the Zen Cart site is where the info is stored and totaled up and paid for?

Is this at least on the right track?

From What I see the Zen Cart is all ready to go with in the download? Is this correct? There is just some customizing that one needs to do to get the look one wants and different options? Is this right?

thanks,

darren

Plugin Contributions

The customers make selections on your site and that info is sent to a shopping cart on your Zen Cart site and there on the Zen Cart site is where the info is stored and totaled up and paid for?

Is this at least on the right track?
    Nearly, you require payment processor i.e. paypal.

From What I see the Zen Cart is all ready to go with in the download? Is this correct? There is just some customizing that one needs to do to get the look one wants and different options? Is this right?
    Nearly...shipping, products, categories etc need to be entered..
    URL BELOW IS YOUR FRIEND
    https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php

Plugin Contributions

Ok so I have been checking out the Paypal site and see that they have shopping carts that you can add to you website and they seem to be pretty good can have option buttons, you can enter shipping info and customize the payment pages to match your site some neat stuff.

My question is Paypal a good way to go or is Zen Cart a much better product?

What is the differences?

And is Paypal one of the best payment processors if you do not what to set up merchant stuff with teach of the major credit card guys?

Thanks for the URL that you listed I will check it out.

darren

Plugin Contributions

My understanding of Paypal buttons is that they are ok if you have a very limited range of products and options, and do not need real management built into your store. They require you to build your whole site by yourself.

Zen Cart offers a complete e-commerce package with many payment, shipping, product and other management options built in, and up-to-date security functions which are actively maintained by the developers. Your site installs fully functional, and your job is to select the options and settings that best fit your situation, and customize the appearance with a downloaded template or your own CSS code (and possibly other HTML and PHP, depending on your requirements).

Many people swear by Paypal, others swear at it. The latest version of Zen Cart offers PP Website Payments Pro, which allows customers to stay on your site while checking out instead of going away to a Paypal page. You may also get a merchant account with a bank or processor which allows you to take credit cards directly on your site.
    Last edited by gjh42; 1 Feb 2008 at 08:08 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks you said that the new Zen supports Paypal Pro.

So I assume that you can use it with Paypals Website Payments Standard?

This is where customers shop on my site and pay on Paypal.

I am interested in this option only because the Pro version has a monthly fee of $30 a month and would like to avoid this till my sales increase.

thanks,

Darren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast