Plugin Contributions

Default Sales based on product attributes???

Okay, so now I am confuzed.....

The online store that I run for the company that I work for sells books and PDFs.

Previously, we had each version of each product as a separate item.

For example, for sku 6504, we had a soft cover book, a hard cover, a limited edition, and a PDF.

I am in the process of changing this so that we only have 1 item for each product, and having attributes control the media in which they purchase it (i.e. they select Soft Cover, Hard Cover, Limited Edition, or PDF from a drop list, and then can use a check box to purchase a PDF (at half stand-alone cost) bundled with a physical book). Here is a link to a sample of the new product setup that I am working on -- http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?...roducts_id=473

The problem is, we just realized that this will mess up sales as I have no idea how to set up a sale on all PDF products, or on all soft covers in a given category.

Basically, I need to be able to set up sales (or create coupons) based on Option Names/Option Values.

Any help would be most appreciated!!!
    Last edited by Rasyr; 28 Jan 2008 at 11:36 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Sales based on product attributes???

Quote Originally Posted by Rasyr View Post
    Okay, so now I am confuzed.....

The online store that I run for the company that I work for sells books and PDFs.

Previously, we had each version of each product as a separate item.

For example, for sku 6504, we had a soft cover book, a hard cover, a limited edition, and a PDF.

I am in the process of changing this so that we only have 1 item for each product, and having attributes control the media in which they purchase it (i.e. they select Soft Cover, Hard Cover, Limited Edition, or PDF from a drop list, and then can use a check box to purchase a PDF (at half stand-alone cost) bundled with a physical book). Here is a link to a sample of the new product setup that I am working on -- http://shop.ironcrown.com/index.php?...roducts_id=473

The problem is, we just realized that this will mess up sales as I have no idea how to set up a sale on all PDF products, or on all soft covers in a given category.

Basically, I need to be able to set up sales (or create coupons) based on Option Names/Option Values.

Any help would be most appreciated!!!
    I'm pretty sure that's not a default zen cart option, and would take (I think) some significant coding to do. Hopefully someone else has more helpful advice.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I have had to change the plans for the store until I can find a solution...

Instead of consilidating 4 versions of a single product into one entry, I am just going to leave them as separate products and in separate categories.

I cannot combine them if I cannot put sales on a single product type (i.e. Option Name/Value combination).

Also also ran across another problem while trying this.....

Since the type of product was going to selected from the drop list, I had set the base price for the item to zero. When I did this for a product what had a special set for it (15% off), not only did it tell me that my cost was zero, but it set all of the costs for each option to zero as well......

Plugin Contributions

What would work best for you is to do just that ... 1 Product for each media type ...

Then ...

Look into the Cross Sell add-on so that you can reference the various media types when looking at one of them to find the other formats ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

One for each media type is what we have now, but it does make things harder to find since we had to sort them by media type underneath product line.

We wanted to combine them to make it easier.... (we are also adding a PDF bundling with the physical books, so not being able to combine them as a single item triples the number of physical books that I have to add the bundling to -- sigh...)

Anyways, I have also gone ahead and added a thread in the Feature Request section regarding this.

and I will check out that cross sell thingy as well... thanks