My family and I live in Brighton, England
    Plugin Contributions

help question Removing checkout_confirmation page

Isn't the checkout_confirmation page an unnecessary step in the checkout process? ("Step 3 of 3 - Review and Submit Order" if you have Order Steps installed) It seems to me that if a customer is entering their credit card information they have already carefully reviewed their order. Plus there must be a certain percentage of customers who don't see that they must scroll down and hit the "confirm the order" button or the order is never placed.

Is there a reason for this page that I'm missing? Would it be possible to eliminate this step altogether?

Thanks - Tim

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Removing checkout_confirmation page

There is a one page checkout module, other than that you have no other choice. You can wait until the next version of ZC in the far future (I think 1.6) to have this built in.
    I no longer provide installation support on forum for all my modules. However, if there are real bugs with the modules please feel free to contact me

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by yellow1912 View Post
    There is a one page checkout module, other than that you have no other choice. You can wait until the next version of ZC in the far future (I think 1.6) to have this built in.
    I am certainly no php-wiz, not by any stetch of the imagination, so I'm asking those that are; would by-passing the checkout_confirmation be that difficult?

Plugin Contributions

The display of the checkout confirmation page is only PART of the story... Remember, you are using a site that integrates (in very complex ways) with a sophisticated database. Many of the "calls" and "writes" to that database are governed by php code in the various pages (and steps) that relate to placing an order.

Checkout Confirmation doesn't only display info... it concludes an order process, making sure that a legal commercial transaction has been completed, and that all data relating to that transaction has been properly written into the record (the database).

This is an essential part of any online payment gateway, affiliate programme or tracking strategy.

DON'T try to stop it from appearing!
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    The display of the checkout confirmation page is only PART of the story... Remember, you are using a site that integrates (in very complex ways) with a sophisticated database. Many of the "calls" and "writes" to that database are governed by php code in the various pages (and steps) that relate to placing an order.

Checkout Confirmation doesn't only display info... it concludes an order process, making sure that a legal commercial transaction has been completed, and that all data relating to that transaction has been properly written into the record (the database).

This is an essential part of any online payment gateway, affiliate programme or tracking strategy.

DON'T try to stop it from appearing!
    Thanks for the reply. Don't worry, I certainly wouldn't blindly remove the page.
    As for your comments: While it is obviously an intregal part of the process I can't imagine that it wouldn't be possible to have all that happen "behind the scenes" and allow for a by-pass directly to the checkout_success page. There is so much talk about minimizing steps in the checkout process, and for good reason: It's important to close the sale. The checkout_confirmation page is not only an extra step but one that could be easily missed by people who think that their order is complete once they have entered their credit card information. Scrolling down to hit that extra button does cost sales, it has been documented.

Plugin Contributions

Yes... your point about speeding up the checkout is extremely valid. The easier it is for shoppers to conclude their purchase the better.

Perhaps the checkout_confirmation is a superfluous step. It would be better for zencart to "sense" if any important info had been ommitted and ONLY display an alert if this was the case - otherwise it should conclude the transaction.

What you say reminds me typically of government websites (UK in particular) where progress through a transaction is so tedious...

"Are you sure you want to continue...?" (I click "yes")

Next screen "Please confirm that you are ABSOLUTELY sure you want to continue..." (I click "yes")

Next screen "There's no going back after this? Are you sure, sure, sure?" (I click "yes")

Next screen "If you click yes now, that's it... please confirm that you have read the terms and conditions first" (I click "confirm")

Next screen "So let's get this straight once and for all... You actually want to send your data over the internet. IF you are certain to the point of death, click Continue" (I click continue).

Next screen "No going back after this step... Are you sure?" (I abandon website)
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MeltDown View Post
    Isn't the checkout_confirmation page an unnecessary step in the checkout process?
    Is there a reason for this page that I'm missing? Would it be possible to eliminate this step altogether?
    Most payment providers have it as part of their T&Cs that there most be a confirmation page showing all the details of the transaction and requiring the customer to confirm. So if you want to remove the page you will need to check the contract you have with your payment provider.

Regards,
    Christian.