Plugin Contributions

Default Looks awesome in most browsers, like crap in IE7

We are tweaking with the style sheet trying to get the site to look okay in IE7 - but I can't seem to do that without breaking all other browsers.

Site is here: http://aurumitaliangold.com/

What I am concerned about is the layout on the home page of the monthly specials - it looks fine in FF on Windows, and both FF and Safari on the Mac. On Windows IE7 it looks like garbage...

The rest of the site is hit or miss, categories are not so great, individual products seem to be okay - but the monthly specials on the home page are way off -

Alsos - only in IE again - there is a black bar just above the footer and the footer text is not centered.

I can post the style sheet if needed - I am working off of a what I have come to realize is a pretty crappy template.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looks awesome in most browsers, like crap in IE7

Template Monster templates tend to do this. Their HTML is both excessively complex and sloppy. Their templates mix tables-based ways of doing things with tableless structures. And there's always a whole heap of validation errors (it's not clear whether this is because they can't be bothered to fix them, or because they provide a useful smokescreen for the underlying structural problems).

So how does that help you? Well it can give some direction even if not a simple answer. The specific page to which you drew our attention has (at the time of writing) 305 validation errors. I think that might be the highest I've ever seen on a single page.

Most validation errors can be swallowed by browsers, but some create impossible to resolve structural conflicts. Nevertheless the browsers still have to display something, so something has to give (i.e. be ignored) but and what gets dropped varies from browser to browser creating the type of display inconsistencies that you are seeing.

So step one is to deal with the validation errors. On a normal Zen Cart that's not too difficult since the default installation validates and so any errors would have been introduced by the user. But with TM templates it's more difficult as they with them already built in.

Good luck.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Looks awesome in most browsers, like crap in IE7

Good lord... I thought that template was a POS - but I was trying to find something in a hurry and coming cold to Zen Cart...

Thanks for the info -