Thread: Adding graphics

Default Adding graphics

I shouldn't be saying this as long as I have been around, but I am still new at this.

I would like to add graphics to my site. I am just not sure what they are called...or the correct name. Can someone please tell me what these are called and where I can get them?

I have a sample site:
    osc.template-help.com/zencart_12548/index.php

I was considering purchasing a template but...they don't have them for the version that I want...and they are pricey. I have been doing a lot of work on my site but need a new look.

I like how this site has the "fresh flowers" & toys and games sections. ARe these called buttons....graphics....images?

osc.template-help.com/zencart_10226/index.php

this site also has the categories at the top that link to certain pages. It also has a free shipping...button, graphic...

What are these called?
    Can I go to a site and get generic or custom ones done?
    Does anyone know exactly where to go if yes?
    Does anyone know the code to create something like this if no?

I have just been trying to get something like this for a while and just can't figure out what it is they are doing to get it to have that "pop up" "animated" look to it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Kim; 14 Feb 2008 at 04:35 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Adding graphics

Samples you have quoted do not work with zencart..i.e
    Suggest you post in commercial forum for help
    creating template to your custom design..

I know their templates don't work...but I would like to use another template but still have those same buttons...or graphics...

I don't know what they are called. Can someone tell me the correct term for these buttons or graphics, so that I may google it?

I have been to the commercial area...no responses. I rather try myself if its possible.

I just can't search because I don't know the correct term...

Does anyone know?

Plugin Contributions

If you want customised images of any kind, you can either create these yourself (using a wide variety of image editing software - from Adobe Photoshop to Microsoft Paint)...

...or if you don't know how to create images (jpegs, gifs, png's) then hire a designer to do them for you.

Bear in mind that CSS governs much of the layout of the website, including the size, shape and position of elements (including images/graphics).

You need to create your graphics in tandem with necessary modifications to your CSS and possibly even the template structure.

We don't really know what your issue is - but from your thread it seems clear to me you do not have a great grasp of web images, how they are created and how they relate to a template and its Stylesheets.
    20 years a Zencart User

You are correct. I only know the basics...barely.

I just didn't know what they were called which is why I asked. I wanted to google to see if there were any information that could guide me through the process.

I found sites that have graphics such as free shipping with the truck or plane or the new arrivals flashing in different colors.

I just didn't see the other sections from that sample template. I wasn't sure if they were the same as what I had seen (graphics) and wanted to know what they were called.

If I have to hire someone that is fine. I like to have somewhat of an understanding of what needs to be done so when I get quotes I can say "that's way too high" or "that is reasonable for this kind of work".

I am getting quotes from 200 -5k to do this for me and I am wondering what has to be done so I know who to trust.

I guess I will keep using google as well as trying what my photoshop and other programs can do.

Thank you all for your responses.

Plugin Contributions

This is always "how long is a piece of string" question. Rule of thumb - if you pay peanuts you will hire monkeys.

The key to getting an accurate quote is to know exactly what you want you site to DO as well as how you want it to LOOK.

Remember... different images (eg: purple buttons instead of yellow buttons) are just ONE aspect of what will make your site different, but there are other issues.

If you want the LAYOUT to change as well as having a different colour scheme, then it's a case of working with the templates and the stylesheets IN ADDITION to creating new images.

All these components must hang together, so when the webpages are "cobbled together" from all the php codes, data, images and stylesheet commands, what renders up on screen is attractive AND functional.

Start by using a piece of paper to outline how you want your site to look, or search the web for ideas, noting down the web addresses of sites you like.

Then, arrange to meet with a designer who KNOWS ZENCART, and they will give you an honest appraisal of what it may cost.

There are many excellent designers who contribute regularly to this forum (I'm just average, so if you are thinking of asking me, I'll do a competent site, but you'll get better from my fellow zenners!).

Work out how much you are prepared to spend - but you may first need to run your ideas past a good zencart designer to get a handle on what the cost ballpark may be.
    20 years a Zencart User

Thanks. I have given a detailed explaination of what I am wanting. I gave all companies a list of 5 sites...and what I liked about each site. I mentioned what I was wanting but also wanted to know what they were planning on doing. It isn't about what I want..it is about what will keep customers on my site and purchase from me. I asked them on my thoughts and ideas, if they had any suggestions and quotes for each if they were different.

I explained how I didn't want a whole new template...just a new layout/design of my home page. I want those graphics on my home page...not sure in what order which is why I let them know that I did need someone to layout or design it as well. I know what I want it to say and have the pics of my products to include in the graphics buttons, pics, banners...whatever they are called...I am thinking banners.

I have found software to do this on my own. I have not yet bought anything...because I don't know how I want the layout to be yet. I don't want to just slap it all on my page.

I wasn't sure how much it was going to cost since I had no idea what was involved..which was why I was trying to do some homework. Now that I have found software, realize that many programs sell premade templates of these banners and graphics and you can just alter it to say what you want. Seems easy but I am hoping someone will contact me from the commercial side and let me know if there is special formatting for it for zen cart or if one is better than the other. I do know that I can get a site with everything I need for just under 2k so for the people charging 5k just to redo a home page....custom making a template or not is way too much money.

Again, thanks...I am hoping to find what I am looking for.

Plugin Contributions

One of the most pleasing aspects of zencart, is that there is only a small number of images that you have to change to "customise" a standard installation in order to reflect your company branding.

These are:-

header_bg
    logo.gif
    tile_back.gif
    Last edited by schoolboy; 14 Feb 2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    20 years a Zencart User